+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arm mounting nightmare - please help!

I'm Julian.

Thanks Paul. It has the Timestep PSU and was using a Resomat.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Julian.

... And a Mike New bearing.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Paul.

Ooo err. Well you could try the forum recommended Jelco Arm but I wouldn't go any further. That would rule in or out an arm mismatch. If you still prefer the Source / Kuzma (not surprised frankly) you could sell that package on and recoup most of the expenditure. Just trust your own ears and don't let the forum Techies persuade you otherwise.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Julian, you know what I'm going to say.

Try a different cartridge.

I'm using a DD turntable and "cold and clinical" is the last thing you'd accuse it of. I'm getting some very sweet sounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

MartinT Guest

That doesn't make sense, Julian. The MN bearing and an external PSU means that you're only a platter away from potential great replay sound. I don't believe your Kuzma is at fault, either.

Two things come to mind: the reso-mat isn't good on the Technics stock platter as it needs damping. Try to borrow an Achromat and bond it (double-sided tape or Vaseline) to the platter. You will need the special stepped Technics version.

Secondly, suspect the arm plate. It may not be firmly seated. Is it tightly bolted to the cut-out with a gasket in between?

My vote is for the mat being at fault.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    That doesn't make sense, Julian. The MN bearing and an external PSU means that you're only a platter away from potential great replay sound. I don't believe your Kuzma is at fault, either.

Two things come to mind: . The reso-mat isn't good on the Technics stock platter as it needs dampingry to borrow an Achromat and bond it (double-sided tape or Vaseline) to the platter. You will need the special stepped Technics version.

Secondly, suspect the arm plate. It may not be firmly seated. Is it tightly bolted to the cut-out with a gasket in between?

The bit in bold coincides with my thoughts too.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

MartinT Guest

I resemble needing 'dampingry'

I resemble needing 'dampingry'
    I don't know what happened there - I'll try again
    Chris

Two things come to mind: the reso-mat isn't good on the Technics stock platter as it needs damping. Try to borrow an Achromat and bond it (double-sided tape or Vaseline) to the platter. You will need the special stepped Technics version.

Hopefully this is right - anything malfunctioning is more than likely me still coming down from working through the night last night and ending up being awake for over 24 hours.

I think the mat could well be at fault, although there was mention made earlier in the thread to using the Resomat to correct VTA, which is a very "arse about face" approach IMO.
    Chris

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post

Wow! How did I miss this one? I'm kinda likin' that. The colour match is almost perfect.

I would love to experiment with this on a 12xx at some point. It seems an easy way to actually, and practically, mount a 12" arm to a Techy without structural modification.

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234