+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visit to Whest Audio

I'm Mike.

Default Visit to Whest Audio

My Whest phono fixed under warranty I decided I would collect myself as close by and I'm nosy

An interesting, wide ranging chat
    James own system, from memory
    His own make record deck and arm, not for sale I don't think, cartridge unknown
    Whest 30RDT
    Modwright Pre amp
    Mana supports and sound bases for the kit
    Active ATC speakers on own designed and made and Mana like stands

James suggested I could mod my Naim 82 very simply and drastically improve the sound, sounded simple for him not for me ! Might go for that.
    Change the SNAIC leads, 82-HiCaps to give similar improvements
    Pass Pre Amp - ok
    Croft - not impressed
    ECS - good amps
    Avondale - good amps

Think that was it
    An interesting time for me
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

Did James say what was wrong with your phono pre?

What did his system sound like?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Did James say what was wrong with your phono pre?

What did his system sound like?
    From the man himself
    >A single faulty resistor. After purchasing about 30000 resistors I have found a bad one!!

We were talking too much to listen intently
    It sounded at least good at low volume
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm ILOB.

James a nice guy James did try and presuade me to go down the active ATC route but happy with the choice I made
    He will sometimes make TT for close friends and customers nearly went down that route when I had the VPI HW19 mk4 before I converted it to the reference superscoutmaster (rim drive) and then the Salvation
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    James a nice guy James did try and presuade me to go down the active ATC route but happy with the choice I made
    He will sometimes make TT for close friends and customers nearly went down that route when I had the VPI HW19 mk4 before I converted it to the reference superscoutmaster (rim drive) and then the Salvation
    I enjoyed talking to him
    Seems to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of things past and how to make good stuff

Mike

MartinT Guest

I'll bet your Whest will sound good now that the imbalance is gone. Enjoy!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I'll bet your Whest will sound good now that the imbalance is gone. Enjoy!
    One of the reasons I brought the car was to get my mits on it today - not next week.
    I shall test without then with the Whest
    Perhaps test again Sunday when fully warmed up

Mike

+ Reply to Thread