+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tangerine Dream

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

Currently playing an LP (shock-horror!!!) - Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer - Like Children! These seventies LP's sound great on the BC2's.n"

Hi Dave

I must say that I like Jerry Goodman quite a lot. I have a few of his albums on Cd such as Its Alive. Nice Jazz fusion.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

I've got thousands of albums, covering genres of all types and I like to think I've a good knowledge of music but I confess to knowing next to nothing about Tangerine Dream. This astounds me!

I have a CD of Phaedra which I got from the local library last year. Don't take this the wrong way, but I often listen to it when I want to go to sleep. I really like it, but I suspect that I don't know the end as well as I know the begining!!!!!

I actually went to see them in the early 80's - Brighton Dome, during a time when I tried to go to every gig I possibly could.

I enjoyed it..............

..........but here's the thing.

I can't seem to really engage myself with this music. I want to know why, so I guess that means I'll be getting more of their music in the future!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

TD's Virgin period CD's are very cheap on Amazon UK and I'd recommend you buy a few..

Phaedra isn't the best to fall asleep to, I'd recommend the earlier "Zeit" for that purposezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz if you ever try Phaedra again, play the last two tracks first - Movements of a Visionary and Sequent c...

Rubycon is probably the most "complete" and mighty release of that period. Twenty hours of recordings for 37 minutes of sublime electronically based music. Ricochet is another live "compilation" from this period of mostly improvisation, yet there is a pre-composed sequence in part 2 which was recorded for the album at a Croydon concert and I heard in Aylesbury a few days later. As for the truly awsome "Sorcerer Soundtrack.........."

The thing with Tangerine Dream is that there is around 40 years of recording in various styles to choose from, from the improvised electronic soundscapes of the early to mid seventies, to the composed, preset-&-preprogrammed and sometimes romantic mid eighties. I tend to go for the "Chris Franke/Peter Baumann/Johnnes Schmoelling" eras spanning 1972 untill 1988, finding the nineties output too percussion and "poppy."

The current output shows a return to some kind of decent form, but the numerous CD, "cupdisc" and DVD releases are too expensive for me to buy right now and seem to be appearing in something of a flood of releases. The nineties albums have found new distribution and have been re-released - something like 70 titles at the last count........

Interesting that I didn't care much for the father/son partnership (look on a Phaedra gatefold and spot the then little boy hiding in the cosmic swirls of the artwork), yet the son Jerome has released a couple of excellent synth'd guitar based albums recently.

One final set of recommendations - Edgar Froese's Epsilon In Malasian Pale (original 1975 issue - Maroubra Bay is amazing to a Mellotron/Moog-head like me ) and the two sublime Peter Baumann recordings "Romance '76" and "Trans harmonic Nights." The latter two are out of print but Tony L on PFM may be able to locate an LP or two perhaps... Johannes Schmoelling has also recorded some awsome solo work, but there is a trend with some of these German artists to re-record or modify earlier work and I don't know whether it's because they cannot get the originals re-released or that they were genuinely unhappy with them. The former I suspect...
    Last edited by DSJR; 16-04-2009 at 08:57.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12