+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is vinyl called vinyl?

I'm Clive.

The term record dates back to pre-1900 (so I'm told, I'm not that old!). The Edision Phonograph recorded onto tinfoil cylinders. This produced a "record" of the performance. So "record" isn't synonymous LP, though an LP will always be a record. On this basis CDs and MP3s are also records.

As for vinyl, I don't mind LPs being called vinyl, it's minor annoyance but when people say, "you've got a lot of vinyls" it just doesn't sound right to me.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    The term record dates back to pre-1900 (so I'm told, I'm not that old!). The Edision Phonograph recorded onto tinfoil cylinders. This produced a "record" of the performance. So "record" isn't synonymous LP, though an LP will always be a record. On this basis CDs and MP3s are also records.

As for vinyl, I don't mind LPs being called vinyl, it's minor annoyance but when people say, "you've got a lot of vinyls" it just doesn't sound right to me.
    I think the term LP became confusing as a 'long player' could be applied to CD as well as the vinyl lp record. Thence vinyl lp got condensed down to vinyl - though this didn't take on until the 90s at least. The plural of vinyl is vinyl so it's correct to use 'you've got a lot of vinyl lps' but not 'got a lot of vinyls'. Incorrect use of English like this is annoying.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I blame the yanks!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Frank.

I am to old for new-fangled terms like vinyl to describe something I have been buying for over 50 years.
    I have tapes, cassettes (not many), LPs, CDs, SACDs and DATs.
    I curmudgeonly-ly avoid using the term "vinyl". It irritates me, for some reason.

;-)

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Vinyl means vinyl.

LP, EP and single refer to the length or at least expected length and tracks numbers and can be CD, cassette, vinyl, reel to reel etc.

Album I suppose can mean the new LP work of an artist/band but also includes those put together as compilations or best-ofs whereas I wouldn't use LP for a best-of or compilation. It's format neutral.

Record for me has connotations of being vinyl but not strictly. I call my vinyl "records" when people know that they're likely to be vinyl. If not, I specify that it's vinyl I'm talking about..

Of course, back when there was only one real format, vinyl, you didn't need to specify.

I'm Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Of course, back when there was only one real format, vinyl, you didn't need to specify.
    The highest sound quality available "back then" was FM radio IME, noticeably superior to LPs. Reel-to-reel recordings of live radio 3 concerts were also better than LPs IME.
    Nowadays live broadcasts are rare rather than at 7.30 every evening :-(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123