+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give your vintage speaker a modern look ?

I'm Jan.

Default Give your vintage speaker a modern look ?

Hi,

I´m in favor for keeping equipment as original as possible, but saw this tempting idea - this owner of a set of JBL L100 Century has painted them piano black - the result I think is nice.

I think this give thoughts and ideas, to give the speakers a more modern look, instead of perhaps change to new speakers, instead to paint them, give them a modern steel stand. And the dilemma is over if you understand what I mean

My own approach will be ( the decision has bee taken, but not the time ) to paint them piano-white at a auto painter, find a simple modern steel stand, straight, in order to place something on top and use them as a furniture - give them a front cover in light gray semi-transparent, to see the speakers behind.

Perhaps this gives inspiration to others ... ?

I would like to get that black colour off my NS1000M and subsitute it for a wood grain kind of finish.

I'm Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I would like to get that black colour off my NS1000M and subsitute it for a wood grain kind of finish.
    Hi Stanley, yes, grass always seems more green ..

It depends of cause of taste, and the rest of the furniture. Part of the story is I moved recently, and throw all the old furniture away, old style plenty of wood, and now have only glass, steel and chrome.

It will all depend on the colors and materials chosen - and if the paint is true piano. I made this small picture of how such could be given a more modern look - a pair of L100´s can be found for 300 USD, so damage is not that ireversible - better than facing the "femal-factor" finding one day they "left the building"

Last edited by Jan_A; 18-03-2013 at 19:11.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I actually love the 70's look of my boxes, even though they are only 2 years old. I used to have tall 'needle dick' Monitor Audio piano black speakers and that finish was a pain in the arse to keep looking good. Mind you my Harbeth's certainly wouldn't please a wife if I had one and I know they would prefer the MA floor-standers, the women who have seen my Harbies think they are ugly - good job I'm single
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Mind you my Harbeth's certainly wouldn't please a wife if I had one and I know they would prefer the MA floor-standers, the women who have seen my Harbies think they are ugly - good job I'm single...
    Lol... Don't be so sure, daftee. It's simply a matter of finding the right woman, who accepts that your hi-fi (music collection) and you, come as ONE package!

Del loved the look of my old Spendor SP100s, which were much bigger than your Harbs. She prefers big speakers, in general, because she likes BASS (with her favourite music), and she wouldn't have that (or me) any other way.

If you marry a 'house proud' (I hesitate using that description) control freak, and become subservient to her every wish, then you've got no-one to blame but yourself...!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

You'll be suprised how many blokes let their other half decide what they are allowed in the house..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oh I know, mate, I've seen it first hand! Seeing it, though, will never make me understand WHY it happens....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Vintage gear in our house till i die, saying that it's a vintage everything

I'm Geoff.

I think most Hi-fi gear only looks right sporting the appearance the manufacturer gave it in the first place. Imagine painting a pair of Tannoy GRFs black, God Almighty!

(pisses me off that you just cannot get replacement 60's/70's Tannoy beige Vynair grille cloth. There's something horribly wrong looking about a pair of Lancasters with black grilles)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Vintage gear in our house till i die, saying that it's a vintage everything
    Go on Andre, post a photo of your living room.
    Go on go on go on go on..........
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast