+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Suffolk

I'm Marc.

Default Hello from Suffolk

Hello all. I have just joined the forum as I have only just ventured into the wonderful world of Hi-Fi. Silly really that it has taken me this long to get into separate components as music features every single day in my life, mostly when working in my studio. I recently bought an Arcam Alpha 8 amp and a pair of Mission floorstanders (733's), but last weekend one of the woofer cones completely fell apart during a party. So, I have just picked up a pair of Celestion's which I'm sure I will have plenty of questions regarding compatibility issues etc. Anyway, looking forward to looking around the forum and hopefully broadening my knowledge! Best Regards, Marc (Bruno).

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Marc,
    Welcome to AoS. It's great to have a new convert to the hi-fi cause.
    What sort of music do you like to listen to?

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Marc,
    Welcome to AoS. It's great to have a new convert to the hi-fi cause.
    What sort of music do you like to listen to?
    Hello there, thank you. I am a dedicated electronica fan (Murcof, Epic45, Deaf Centre, Ulrich Schnauss, Boards of Canada, to name a few), but do have a deep love of all music, so I often dip into many genres. Favourites include Pink Floyd, the great Porcupine Tree, Rush, Opeth and occasionally, dare I say, a nostalgic flirtation with electronic 80's.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hello fellow Suffolkian! Celestions used to be made in Ipswich, in case you don't know... I have their tweeters in my Spendors but never actually owned a "full" pair - something on my "bucket" list! Glad you've found hifi, and glad you found the best hifi forum on the web! Enjoy.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hello fellow Suffolkian! Celestions used to be made in Ipswich, in case you don't know... I have their tweeters in my Spendors but never actually owned a "full" pair - something on my "bucket" list! Glad you've found hifi, and glad you found the best hifi forum on the web! Enjoy.
    Hi Alex, and thank you. Yes, I have a thing for English/British made audio components, but it was only after I bought the Celestion speakers that I realized they were from our native Suffolk. What a bonus!

I'm Dave.

Hi Marc...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    Hi Marc...
    Hello there. Like the Hailwood Duke!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Welcome to the madhouse Suffolk coast eh? North or south?

Why is it that it always used to be Missions that fell apart at parties? The crossovers used to melt their mountings too...

I was only going to say that the Cash Converters in Felixstowe had some floor standing Wharfedales (I'm sure they had good reviews a few years back) in a beech colour for well under a ton..

Parties are not really the thing for hard worked tiny drivers in modern floor standing speakers. Too much power could overheat the amp and a clipping amp takes out tweeters. Try to get some big old PA types if you party often and save the proper speakers for normal use......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Welcome to the madhouse Suffolk coast eh? North or south?

Why is it that it always used to be Missions that fell apart at parties? The crossovers used to melt their mountings too...

I was only going to say that the Cash Converters in Felixstowe had some floor standing Wharfedales (I'm sure they had good reviews a few years back) in a beech colour for well under a ton..

Parties are not really the thing for hard worked tiny drivers in modern floor standing speakers. Too much power could overheat the amp and a clipping amp takes out tweeters. Try to get some big old PA types if you party often and save the proper speakers for normal use......
    Hi DSJR, I'm in North Suffolk. Will take your good advice. I now have a pair of hefty Celestion floorstanders which sound rather beefy. Perfect for my studio. Are you a Schnauss fan by any chance...?

+ Reply to Thread