+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From 5 to 2

Is anyone else intolerant of the overbearing Bass from a lot of the SS ?
    I know that at Hi-Fi exhibitions this may be exagerated to try and impress, but I dont even like it much at the cinema- It all seems larger than life.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I know just what you mean, and it's likely that DVD producers enhance the lower frequencies to make up the shortfall in many home cinema systems. I have to cut the bass quite extensively on the processor to produce a flat reponse.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

SS sounds bad if it is badly setup, otherwise it sounds better than stereo with equivalent kit, and it costs more too...

Now, with open baffle speakers we get the best of bothe worlds, very "real" 3D sound, good image regardless of beeing in the ideal spot, and lower cost than SS...

Of course you still need subwoofer, but I think every "normal" speaker needs a subwoofer, read this review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/b...crossover.html

Conclusion:
    I'm buying the Bryston 10B-Sub active crossover. It's one of the most significant things I've done for my system in terms of not only aiding the achievement of excellent deep bass quality but also in terms of alleviating the last remnants of listening fatigue. No matter what changes I'll make in the future, I'll never have to compromise here again. That makes the 10B a particularly good investment.

Adding the 10B and a subwoofer is so much more than gluttonous bass. It's about turning one's attention to some of the most important and difficult-to-reproduce frequencies in the audible spectrum. It's not just about adding slam to the bass drum; it's about adding tonality to double basses and expanding the spatial characteristics of the soundstage and improving the dynamic performance of your system - while getting more slam from your bass drums to boot. It's also about gearing your system up to explore all the bass tones and textures you're likely missing out on right now. Hell, it's also about increasing the fun factor.
    Antonio Melo Ribeiro

For me this is only an hobby...

All the signs are that 5.1 etc are being replaced by 2.1, which is the biggest growth area in audio after iPod Docks!

Even in the States large numbers are returning to 2.1 quite simply because it's a better compromise as well as sounding better. The Pro sector agrees that it's largely over too, although they felt that it could work well in a car. Car audio is bigger than Hi FI just as is pro audio.

Having been involved in the set up massive 5.1 systems in various film and Recording Studios where it might be argued that it was at its best, I can tell you that I always hated it and am delighted that it's on the way out. It works best giving the impression of being present at an event, in a cafe, a horse or car race, of just out in a field with wind and bird sound and most tiresome for battles and bloody stupid sound effects IMO.

I'm sure private cinemas, hotels etc will still use the system but for normal homes where music is as important, it's a negative.

Ash

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    Sweeping statement maybe, everyone can live without surround sound,it's nothing but falsely created sound field to excite the brain, how anyone can sit there and enjoy that as much as they could 2 channel is beyond me!! Yes we do need stereo to enjoy music.
    i have to agree with you on this one, every suround sound system i have heard just annoys the hell out of me,it just distracts me from what ever i am trying to watch!!! needles to say, i dont use it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123