+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking The System

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's bollocks - clearly the amp is at fault. The headphone socket output just isn't using the gubbins (technical term) that is causing the fault. Take it back and get your money back. I think you have just been unlucky with amps as I have owned dozens of them over the years and only ever had one go faulty.
    +1

John

I'm Franco.

A hifi dealer has offered to check the speakers for me tomorrow to see if there is a fault with them. Hopefully it wouldn't be taking the p**s if i took the amp as well and asked him to check that. (this is not the dealer who i got the amp from i must clarify.)

The dealer from whom the amp came is being stroppy with me over the phone, being quite argumentative about the problem, unfortunately i am not sufficiently knowledgeable to counter argue. It will cost me a lot if the amp turns out to not be at fault so i need to make sure before sending it back.
    Don't know why I am so unlucky with amps, but with my 'once bitten' approach to consumerism i am running out of alternative manufacturers

synsei Guest

Franco, how are your speaker cables terminated? Are they bare wires for instance?

I'm John.

Rotel used to make good, reliable, affordable amps, not sure about their present models, it's been a while since I bought anything Hi-Fi other than cables. A decent amp should last >10 yrs if it's not abused.

John

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by flappy View Post

The dealer from whom the amp came is being stroppy with me over the phone, being quite argumentative about the problem, unfortunately i am not sufficiently knowledgeable to counter argue. It will cost me a lot if the amp turns out to not be at fault so i need to make sure before sending it back.
    Don't know why I am so unlucky with amps, but with my 'once bitten' approach to consumerism i am running out of alternative manufacturers
    What is the amp? Did you buy it brand new? You said you already tried it with different speeks and the problem persists so I don't see how it cannot be the amp with the problem. In any case the dealer is out of order - you are dissatisfied so he needs to sort it - that is part of his job and why he gets commission on the sale. There are zillions of amp manufaturers out there so you are spoilt for choice and are nowhere near running out of options.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Franco.

Thanks for the replies.
    The speakers terminals are something else i have checked. They had always been bare wire but i got some banana plugs a couple of weeks ago to make sure wiring connections wasn't the fault.
    Oh 10+ years for an amp would be grand. I've done three now in less than that time.
    Martin I'm not sure what the dealer's problem is, i am a pretty amiable sort and their approach has been aggressive/accusatory from my first call.
    Where should I look for alternatives? Any online retailers with a diverse selection?

I'm Martin.

Martin I'm not sure what the dealer's problem is, i am a pretty amiable sort and their approach has been aggressive/accusatory from my first call.
    Where should I look for alternatives? Any online retailers with a diverse selection?
    There are plenty of places you could go - but if you want a low-hassle low cost option I would go to Richer Sounds and buy one of their Cambridge Audio amps. If you ever do have a problem with it then their after-sales service is excellent, they will not mess you about. Rega also have a rep for reliability and after-sales support, their amps are a little pricier though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Plugging in headphones doesn't prove the amp is not faulty as the headphone connection disconnects the speakers and the output stage. What troubles me is that you have had a few amps doing similar things and the present amp works with one pair of speakers at a time. Check the connections again and run one pair of speakers for an extended period.

Pity you're not nearer because we could sort this out pretty quickly.

I'm Franco.

Default shrinking the System UPDATE

I went to a friendly hifi dealer at the end of last week who tested the Onkyo a5vl amp and tested both sets of my speakers and they confirmed what everyone on this forum suggested, that it was the amp at fault. So have now returned to the rude supplier of said amp with a little more confidence. Hopefully they will sort it out.
    The friendly hifi dealer did reiterate his suggestion that i consider the one-box marantz system. Stating that it was plenty powerful for both my sets of speakers. Without hearing it I am not sure i can make this judgement call. Can anyone explain why it might or might not be an agreeable answer?

I'm Mike.

I went to a friendly hifi dealer at the end of last week who tested the Onkyo a5vl amp and tested both sets of my speakers and they confirmed what everyone on this forum suggested, that it was the amp at fault. So have now returned to the rude supplier of said amp with a little more confidence. Hopefully they will sort it out.
    The friendly hifi dealer did reiterate his suggestion that i consider the one-box marantz system. Stating that it was plenty powerful for both my sets of speakers. Without hearing it I am not sure i can make this judgement call. Can anyone explain why it might or might not be an agreeable answer?
    Good news. Let's hope the rude one plays ball nicely
    Plenty powerful for your speakers is just one dimension.
    If you have the space I'd stick with separates for much more flexibility
    There are better answers to give you a better sound and package as long as you are happy to put money down
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast