+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shrinking The System

I'm Paul.

If an amp costs £150 today there is bound to be cost cutting in component quality and long term reliability. £150 was 'budget' 20 years ago. If you want long term satisfaction in terms of SQ and reliability a little more is advisable. A £400 - £500 amp that lasts 10 years is cheaper than 3 at £200. Onkyo products (at least the more expensive) get a good press these days so it ought to be a reliable brand.

Would agree on Cambridge if cost is a problem but there are also affordable amps from Yamaha, Rotel etc. I think more important is to seek out a dealer with a good reputation for service so you are covered if a problem should arise. Would avoid the all in one approach suggested by the other dealer who is obviously trying to sell you what he stocks in your price range. If this amp is still under warranty and the dealer still won't play ball you could take it to another Onkyo dealer or contact Onkyo's UK distributor direct.

I'm Franco.

The only thing that made the all-in-one appealing was that it engaged with digital media better than any of the budget amps i'd looked at. Most usefully maybe the usb port in the front. I'm hoping the dealer will just get the onkyo fixed and all will be well but i need a plan B.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by flappy View Post
    The only thing that made the all-in-one appealing was that it engaged with digital media better than any of the budget amps i'd looked at. Most usefully maybe the usb port in the front. I'm hoping the dealer will just get the onkyo fixed and all will be well but i need a plan B.
    Keep an eye open for 2nd hand sales here
    Private Exhibitions or
    Trade Impressions
    You might find something takes your fancy for not a lot
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by flappy View Post
    If you could stretch the budget a bit this would satisfy your requirements for digital connectivity.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../camb-651a-sil

Check out the video link on the web page.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    If you could stretch the budget a bit this would satisfy your requirements for digital connectivity.
    I have this thought of painting yourself into a corner with a one box answer.
    Guess the answer is to go and listen to one
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123