+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buried Treasure

Default Buried Treasure

Been in Cyprus a few days and made a start at sorting the house out. My wife inherited it from her aunt, and the old lady threw nothing out since the house was built in 1952.

Spent the morning "mucking out" the high kitchen cupboards. They were lined with newspapers from 1962.

This afternoon two remarkable finds. A Philips BX230U table top wireless (radio), and a PYE BLACK BOX!!!!

I have know for years there was an acoustic gramophone in the house, but the Black Box is a very nice find. I changed the plug - it had a 2 pin 5A plug with only one pin! I put one of the &*s from the gramophone on the Monarch Autochanger, and off it went.

The radio does work but may need some attention - it's an average wireless of the day. The Black Box was rather up market - what do they sell for today?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Nick.

Brian,

Some interesting info here: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29970 and here: http://www.rewindmuseum.com/vintageturntable.htm (half way down).

The UK Vintage Radio Restoration Forum is a brilliant place for people interested in restoring and collecting old kit, Radios, Turntables, Tape Machines and Test equipment.
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 01-04-2009 at 17:41.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Thanks, Nick.

I know the first of those sites, but nice to see the reference to The Black Box.

I don't suppose I have sufficient interest to restore it. I would never use it.

If someone wanted it I would let it go, but the cost of shipping from Cyprus would be prohibitive, but if I am ever shipping a container back . . .
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

+ Reply to Thread