+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

You need a more complex output stage and regulation to get the most out of the ES9018, anything less and it can sound fatiquing. Its not just the chip which is expensive but implementation too.
    BTW nothing wrong with Wolfson or BB/TI chips, a lot of units sanely priced using these chips sound really good.
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Jerry.

We don't see much of you these days Leo, what are you up to and how is the cat?
    I must admit, I don't find the Hifimediy tiring. Lively, energetic, fast are the adjectives I would use but I still prefer my modified Caiman for it's spacious soundstage.
    Last edited by Covenant; 28-03-2013 at 11:11.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Hi Jerry, I've been quite busy so not had much time to get on the forums. Soon as things settle down a bit I'll be posting more .
    The cats fine thanks, we got another one to keep her company
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Andrei.

Default Sabre Dac

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Its not just the chip which is expensive but implementation too.
    Audioquest Dragonfly and Ifi iDac ( http://ifi-audio.com/en/iDAC.html ) are both inexpensive impementations of the Sabre Chips. I have not heard either but the Dragonfly has been well reviewed.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Jerry.

One of the best reviews is on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digi...ews/B00AOH5JTQ
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Not sure if the DAC chip itself is overly important these days, but it's the power supply and correct choice of bits around it that is the really important bit methinks.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Audioquest Dragonfly and Ifi iDac ( http://ifi-audio.com/en/iDAC.html ) are both inexpensive impementations of the Sabre Chips. I have not heard either but the Dragonfly has been well reviewed.
    Regarding price theres a wide gap between the ES9023 and ES9018 Sabres.
    The ES9023 can give pretty good results cheaply in a compact design , the ES9018 has a lot more potential but requires a much more complex circuit.
    Cheers,
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Not sure if the DAC chip itself is overly important these days, but it's the power supply and correct choice of bits around it that is the really important bit methinks.....
    Hmm, some (not all) voltage out dac chips are not that great. The psu's and filter stages won't help a chip with a compromised internal I/V. Luckily there is a lot of decent chips available now but there is a few stinkers out there too
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Jerry.

How about publishing your own design Leo? (Cheeky bugger aren't I?)
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12