+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wtd: Valve Pre

I'm Andrew.

Depends what sort of sound your going for.
    The croft everyone raves about left me a bit bored.
    Its very neutral and natural but no life IMO.

If I was you I'd keep my eyes peeled for a MF F22 as its well made and good value and will be better than the croft!!!

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Musical Fidelity X-PRE definitely IS a valve pre-amp and very nicely made too. Likely to be far more reliable than many of the Chinese items.
    Doh! Yes of course it is! In that case I shall do my research.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    I will see what is to be read about this pre tonight. Lot of amp for the money!

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Croft Micro Basic is £400 with a great internal MM stage. Without MM it is £350 and I don't know of anything as good at anywhere near the price.
    Thanks Dave. I have no use of a mm stage as my front end is entirely digital. I even went the extra mile to make sure it stayed that way by giving all my vinyl away
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy808 View Post
    Depends what sort of sound your going for.
    The croft everyone raves about left me a bit bored.
    Its very neutral and natural but no life IMO.

If I was you I'd keep my eyes peeled for a MF F22 as its well made and good value and will be better than the croft!!!
    My current pre's are both solid state.
    A Plinius cd-lad, and a MF-A1fbp, fed by a Lyngdorf cd1.
    The kind of sound I'm looking for is something very similar to my Tube Tech Unisis integrated.
    I am looking for a pre to compliment a Beard P100 power amp (kt88) driving Coincident total eclipse speakers. These are big speakers in an average size room, and it takes little effort to get them too loud. Not toward any kind of damage!
    The pre I would like will ideally be smooth on the top end, but retaining plenty of detail and dynamics. The speakers only just work in this room. And anything too revealing in the top end gets them all excited and a tad sharp.
    This is the experience I get with the 2 ss I have.

So, I want the wallop of the P100, and the musicality of the Unisis.

Not much to ask I know

People with more tube experience than me, please chip in if you think the pre is not the issue. The P100 takes a few different tubes and my tube experience is limited at best!
    Other than to say I like them. A lot!

I'm Geoff.

Now to throw you off track a bit.

This is what I'm currently using with my Class A power amp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEI-XING-M...item27b088cef3

It's a transformer pre-amplifier and it sounds beautiful. Only one input and uses no active amplification. The better known examples in the UK come from Music First and have had no end of praise, mine is Chinese and a bargain at the price. The 'English' used in the listing description is a bit odd, I think somebody was using a computer translation app, But the product is very good, well made and comes professionally packaged. There would be some duty to pay importing this. The vendor is helpful and I have done business with him a couple of times with no problems.

Going back to the Musical Fidelty X-PRE, I used one alongside a Croft Micro (the original version) and found the X-PRE superior with the EL34 valve power amp I was using at the time.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jerry.

That description shows the perils of using Google translate!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12