+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 Power Cable

MartinT Guest

Default Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 Power Cable

This article will be of interest to almost no-one! In looking at my system, it is 100% connected with Yannis silver interconnects and sounds all the better for it. System balance is high on resolving fine detail but it's never harsh, always remaining on the musical side of neutral. So what's left to upgrade, short of a major component change that I neither want nor can afford?

I've been reading about the benefits of upgrading the umbilical cables between two-box components, specifically equipment with an outboard power supply. My Pass Labs XP-20 preamp is a case in point, using two boxes to keep the power supply away from the sensitive preamp electronics and connecting them together with a DB-25 cable. The grey cable provided by Pass Labs carries various DC voltages and ground but looks to be a standard computer grade cable with fairly low-rent plugs and unknown cores. Could it be bettered? Reading up on other Pass Labs users, as well as other two-box brands, it seems that it most certainly can.

Enter the Revelation Audio Passage cryo-silver reference DB-25 power cable. It's constructed from 5N solid silver cores with Amphenol connectors and uses air dielectric and heavy shielding. It looks the biz, so I've ordered one (there is a money-back trial period and Brad Vojtech, the designer, has even offered to pay shipping costs).

Other Pass users say they have been impressed with the upgrade in performance of their preamps. On that basis, and the fact that this could represent a relatively inexpensive upgrade compared with a component change, I have taken a punt.

I will report my findings when I receive it. This may just be of interest to other two-box owners, since Revelation Audio make a variety of umbilical cables for different brands of equipment such as Krell, Audiomeca, Sim Audio, Oracle, Musical Fidelity, Audio Alchemy etc.

http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/c...m#PassageDB-25
    Last edited by MartinT; 31-05-2013 at 20:07. Reason: Replaced non-functional image

I'm Tristan.

Where did you read about the benefits of upgrading the umbilical cable? My pre has this too.

MartinT Guest

I was searching all over the net last night, Tristan, but I didn't keep any of the sites. For me, gut instinct often plays a role and I know how good silver is as a carrier of both signals (Yannis interconnects) and DC (Paul Hynes Clearsilver), so I didn't need much persuasion once I looked a little closer at my DB-25 'computer' cable.

For me, it's a question of whether I think I'll hear a difference and whether it'll be worth the cost. I can always return it if it doesn't work out.

What pre do you have?

I'm Tristan.

Funnily enough I thought over the weekend of replacing the umbilical cord. It currently has some belden cable, but I like the Furutech Alpha 3 and Furukawa 2.0. I thought replacing it with one of these might bring benefits (at a cost).

My pre is this one - http://www.audibleillusions.com/prod...pecifications/

The umbilical is soldered rather than connectors so a bit more effort required. One day I'll do it. At the moment other upgrades to other cables take precedence. I'll be very interested to see how you get on.

MartinT Guest

I will report back.

One idea for you is that Paul Hynes can source different gauges of Clearsilver pure silver solid core cable in a transparent outer. You could decide on how many cores you need and he will create a nicely braided bundle to your required length, ready for soldering at both ends. I use Clearsilver for all the internal DC wiring and the external feed cable in my modified Technics turntable.

MartinT Guest

The cable has been shipped! Properly excited now, as this is a bit of an unknown and I'm going on other Pass owner's experiences. Full report to come when I receive it.

I'm fuckoff.

Ah, to own some pass gear...

MartinT Guest

The XP-20 is my third Pass preamp, Martin. I simply haven't heard any better preamp although the XP-20 is no longer top dog as there is an XP-30 out now. Utter and absolute transparency and very firm output drive are their trademarks. I've always been surprised that Pass Labs are not more popular in the UK, but marketing has always been a bit sketchy.

I'm fuckoff.

Tbh I've never heard any of their stuff, but the design and rave reviews people give all the gear must count for something!

Plus it all looks beautiful.

Have you ever considered a passive preamp?

MartinT Guest

I move up from a passive preamp to my first Pass (X2.5). I will never go back as passives just don't do it for me - there isn't enough grunt to drive a power amp into the kind of dynamic performance that I get from my Chord.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast