+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mains cable for speakers

I'm Jerry.

Brian has taken pity on me and sorted me out with some speaker cable. However I will try the lighting cable in the mean time.
    Watch this space!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Brian.

It's not true that us Scots are tight mate . Besides it's one less thing for the wife to hit me over the head with .

I'm Jerry.

The Mains lighting cable gives amazing bass, swamps the treble a little on complex music but sounds good with simple stuff like acoustic guitar.
    Just out of interest the other two cables I tried were
    QED Silver Anniversary-one word-tizzy
    Belkin Pure AV-a bit muddled I thought. I bought this off ebay and I am a bit suspicious it might be fake as it had no markings on the cable, not even + or -.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quad used to use Black & Decker lawnmower cable (with the orange sheath) for their demonstrations.
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

I used twin and earth for a long time as this is what my SD Acoustics speakers were wired with. I used to strip out the red and black runs from the outer sheath & the earth conductor and twist them together x3 because I was tri-amping.
    It worked very well.

I'm Steve.

I'm using 4mm twin and earth but being a label sort of person it's by Pirelli!

I bought a big 50m roll from RS as I had the room rewired so it works out at 69p per metre.

It replaced my VdH CS122 a number of years ago. I then swpped back to the VdH and have now gone back to the twin an earth. It's less bright.

Steve
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

How about kitchen wiring cable? Often to be found in skips etc as surplus from kitchen fittings. Obviously you need some strong binding posts to squash down on such thick solid core.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I picked up some 100ohm copper shield, copper foil coax from a skip from some installation somewhere a while ago. Quick a few metres on the real. Thought I'd try to make the TNT U-byte DIY cables

Also note that Townshend Isolda cables started off as runs of 50ohm(?) coax connected in parallel to get the impedance down to 8ohms (9 runs I think, can't be bothered to do the maths although the impedance rating is probably measured at MHz rather than audio frequencies). There's a Townshend video demonstrating the original cable on an oscilloscope to show something or other.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Quad used to use Black & Decker lawnmower cable (with the orange sheath) for their demonstrations.
    As did I!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    It's not true that us Scots are tight mate . Besides it's one less thing for the wife to hit me over the head with .
    give him some lapp cable mate, may work a treat!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast