+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A big doubt: ampli Sansui AU719 vs Carver Audio CM1090

I'm Dario.

Question A big doubt: ampli Sansui AU719 vs Carver Audio CM1090

Hi, I'm from Italy, and I'm looking for a substitute for my old integrated amplifier Technics SU-7700k. My loudspeakers are the old (1978) Pioneer HPM-100 (created by Bart Locanthi after he went from JBL to Pioneer), two bass-reflex in perfect condition.
    Recently I've found two integrated amplifiers in perfect condition (controlled and approved from a friend of mine, engineer):

SANSUI AU-719 (year 1980) almost brandnew (it was not used for about last 25 years)
    and a CARVER AUDIO CM-1090 like new (year 1991, and also this ampli was not used for many years).
    The price of SANSUI is about € 390 (EURO),and the price of CARVER CM-1090 is about € 480.

What do you think about these amplifiers? Please, tell me their defects and merits (valuables).

Some friends of mine say that I'm crazy spending my Euro to buy an old amplifier! They suggest me to buy a modern (and guaranteted) amplifier, for example:
    Harman Kardon HK 980 for about € 270, or ROTEL RA-12 or RA-1520,both about € 600-700.
    Do you think that a vintage amplifier like a SANSUI AU-710, or the most recent CARVER CM-1090 are able to compete (for technical specifications e for SOUND) with modern amplifiers like those I named (HK and Rotel)? Some friends of mine says it's not possible!!
    Please, I agree your opinions.....thank's!

I'm Alan.

You might like to check out this posting:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ghlight=sansui

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Dario.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You might like to check out this posting:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ghlight=sansui

Alan
    Thank's, I had read that post some days ago.

But I'd like some impressions, not only those SANSUI AU, but in order to my questions about the comparison between SANSUI AU-719 and CARVER CM 1090 and between AU-719 and modern integrated amplifier such as HK 980, Rotel RA-12 e RA-1520, because some people says that I'm a little crazy thinking that the sound of an amplifier of 1980 is better than that one of a modern amplifier like those HK,o, Rotel.
    Then.... I'm really a crazy man???!!

I'm Martin.

They make amplifiers just the same way now as they did in 1980 so I'm not sure what your friends are on about, unless they are talking about old components going out of spec.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

The Carver CM1090 is a great amp. I wouldn't mind buying it myself if it was a local seller. Fantastic dynamic punch.
    I have owned and repaired Sansui amps. They are good, but the Carver is better IMHO.

Whichever one you decide on, if any, make sure you switch on the amp for a day without playing any music. Then play some music at low volume. This is to re-energize the reservoir capacitors. If you don't do that the top of the caps will start bulging and may eventually even tear open and start leaking electrolyte.
    Luckily the Carver uses more inductors than caps so it is not as big an issue as it would be with the Sansui.

I'm Dario.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The Carver CM1090 is a great amp. I wouldn't mind buying it myself if it was a local seller. Fantastic dynamic punch.
    I have owned and repaired Sansui amps. They are good, but the Carver is better IMHO.

Whichever one you decide on, if any, make sure you switch on the amp for a day without playing any music. Then play some music at low volume. This is to re-energize the reservoir capacitors. If you don't do that the top of the caps will start bulging and may eventually even tear open and start leaking electrolyte.
    Luckily the Carver uses more inductors than caps so it is not as big an issue as it would be with the Sansui.

Thank's for your informations. Do you think that a price of € 390 for SANSUI 719 (perfect conditions) and € 490 for the CARVER CM-1090 (very good conditions) is right? Or is too much expensive?
    I listened only SANSUI, but not with my bass-reflex Pioneer HPM-100 (do you know/remeber it?), but some people says that is a good "marriage" HPM-100&SANSUI 719!
    Tomorrow I'll go to see and to listen to CARVER 1090.

Sorry, can you explain in a more simple way this question?

"Whichever one you decide on, if any, make sure you switch on the amp for a day without playing any music. Then play some music at low volume. This is to re-energize the reservoir capacitors. If you don't do that the top of the caps will start bulging and may eventually even tear open and start leaking electrolyte."

I'm not very technician and I hope you'll explain it in another way.
    This Sansui 719 actually is at a my friend's (engineer) home and sometimes (when a potential customer arrive) he switch on it (and play music from a CD player) because the 719 is for sale.
    Then, if I'll buy it (or other similar ampli,but not the Carver) when I'll bring it at my home what I have to do? And why?
    Thank you and.....excuse me for my (bad) English!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Livingstone View Post
    Thank's for your informations. Do you think that a price of € 390 for SANSUI 719 (perfect conditions) and € 490 for the CARVER CM-1090 (very good conditions) is right? Or is too much expensive?
    I would consider the prices to be a bit high. The Carver current guide price is around U$250 in the US. € 300 with the remote would be my starting bid offer. And make sure he has the remote control! The Sansui would be about the same price I reckon. But that Sansui has no punch. I fond it to be a bit soft and slow.

Sorry, can you explain in a more simple way this question?

"Whichever one you decide on, if any, make sure you switch on the amp for a day without playing any music. Then play some music at low volume. This is to re-energize the reservoir capacitors. If you don't do that the top of the caps will start bulging and may eventually even tear open and start leaking electrolyte."
    Just as it says. Power the amp up but don't play any music. Just leave it switched on for at least a day. On the 2nd day play music at a low volume for a couple of hours.
    You don't have to take my advice. You can hope to be lucky and maybe nothing will go wrong. But if the amps have not been used for 25 years then I expect something to go wrong with those big power supply capacitors. Years of repair experience .

I'm Dario.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself, but I didn't tell to you that my engineer-friend (audiophile from 30 years) checked and cleaned the AU-719 when (a few months ago) he received it from a man that changed the Sansui with another vintage-amplifier. He says that it's OK in all of its parts. Actually this 719 is switched on 3-4 time at a week (minimum for 1-2 hours).

In that case the capacitors should be OK instead of having a dried up electrolyte.

I'm Pete.

The 719 is a nice amp for sure, but there are certain things that require work to ensure continued reliability into the future (removal of corrosive glue and replacement of 'black flag' capacitors at an absolute minimum.

I'm currently running a fully restored late 80's Sansui AU-X701 as my main amp, and compared to the earlier Sansuis the sound is cleaner and less coloured, with plenty of drive. Very nice sounding amps indeed! These are the 'international' version of the Japanese-market AU Alpha series amps with the X-balanced circuit topography.
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast