+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Films you thought would be rubbish but turned out to be good...

not top of my fav list but watched the remake of Total Recall and expected total pish and i enjoyed it.

Harold and Kumar get the munchies is another.
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

I'm Neil.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter thought it would be crap but it actually was a lot of fun and the blu ray re picture quality is very good.

Regards Neil

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    You haven't heard of it? Well you soon will.
    The plot:
    Hansel and Gretel, having evaded a horrible fate as children in the witch's candy cottage in the woods, are now all grown up, and they have become super-cool kick-ass witch hunters – in a weirdly regressive sibling partnership – roaming the vaguely Germanic countryside armed with steampunky shotguns for the purposes of blasting witches with maximum violence.

I'm Gary.

Another Earth was good?

Expecting it to be indie "mumblecore" nonsense, but was quite emotional.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

MartinT Guest

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Another Earth and found the ending very thought provoking.

I'm Simon.

Default Re: Films you thought would be rubbish but turned out to be good...

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I watched a film last night that blew me away, in fact it was quite a difficult watch in places, not because it was bad or anything, it's just that the subject matter was disturbing. T'is called The Magdalene Sisters and it's on BBC iPlayer just now...

What's really shocking is the last magdalene laundry only closed in the mid 1990's and the religious orders involved haven't offered a full apology.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Grant.

My daughter bought me a film for Fathers day a few years ago....I dd not fancy it and never watched it...months later when bored to tears I put it on expecting the worst, but to my surprise it was great, and is not one of my guilty pleasures..

The Film: Shooter, starring Mark Wahlberg.......Just goes to show, don't pre judge nowt!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by simon e View Post
    What's really shocking is the last magdalene laundry only closed in the mid 1990's and the religious orders involved haven't offered a full apology.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I assumed the film was some Dickensian construct initially and it wasn't until the story began to unfold that I properly realised the full implications of it. Truly shocking...

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I assumed the film was some Dickensian construct initially and it wasn't until the story began to unfold that I properly realised the full implications of it. Truly shocking...
    Something sticks in my head that this was originally a stage play, which caused a bit of a stir....
    Irish 'institutions' have a pretty history, but the alternatives were sometimes worse.
    Almost a PC mentality at a time when out of sight out of mind was acceptable in polite society...

synsei Guest

And all in the name of religion...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast