+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sub-weight ideas.

Default Sub-weight ideas.

Hi all,

I have an AT LH18 headshell which I've been planning on fitting to my 1210 for a while now. I've only just realised that it's too heavy for the arm to balance, even with the technics sub-weight. Has anyone had this problem and found a more elegant solution than blu-tak and a coin? It could do with a fair bit of beefing up. One deck is fitted with a sumiko headshell and nagaoko mp110. These come in together at 18gms. The AT headshell weighs that alone, so with the 2m red I want to use (7gms), I guess I need another 7gms on the back.
    Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers
    Stewart.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by magoorty View Post
    The AT headshell weighs that alone, so with the 2m red I want to use (7gms), I guess I need another 7gms on the back.
    Would appreciate any thoughts.
    That much effective weight and a 2M red?!

I glued a strip of bitumen around the counterweight. Looks pretty good and is enough for the LH-18.
    Technics SL-1200 Mk2 recapped / MN bearing / Funk Firm Platter / Denon 103R / Lundahl LL1933
    Thorens TD 126 MkIII / SME Series III / Ortofon SME 30H // AT-OC9ML/II / Lundahl LL1681
    Thorens TD 160 / TP16 / Stanton 681SE

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Watch the bass reproduction with the heavy headshell and 2M Red and also get yourself a decent stylus balance, since altering the mass of the counterweight will screw up the accuracy of its scale.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

So would I be best just putting the 2m red on a lighter headshell, or just the technics one? I assumed I'd be better with the AT but if it'll lead to too much bass, I won't bother. What's the reasoning if it's tracking at the correct weight?
    Is that what 'compliance' is all about? As you can tell, I don't have a scooby.

Cheers
    Stewart.

I'm Karl.

So would I be best just putting the 2m red on a lighter headshell, or just the technics one?
    The Technics one is fine, but if you like, a headshell weighting up to 10-12g will also be fine.

The theory behind resonance frequency, total effective mass and compliance is explained here:
    http://www.ortofon.com/support/cartr...ance-frequency

My personal experience with medium-high compliance cartridges is that they don't respond well to higher effective mass.
    My AT-OC9ML/II doesn't even sound good with the stock headshell in the Technics.
    Don't know the exact reason, but I suppose the suspension is not only softer, but also less strong.
    So with higher effective weight, the cantilever will wobble all over the place, making accurate tracking impossible.
    Technics SL-1200 Mk2 recapped / MN bearing / Funk Firm Platter / Denon 103R / Lundahl LL1933
    Thorens TD 126 MkIII / SME Series III / Ortofon SME 30H // AT-OC9ML/II / Lundahl LL1681

Thanks for that. That's very helpful. I guess I'd be best to put the 2m on my Sumiko headshell then.
    What about the Nagaoka mp110? Would that suit the AT shell? Or am I best to forget about using the AT on the technics at all?

Cheers
    Stewart.

I'm Karl.

Or am I best to forget about using the AT on the technics at all?
    It's a perfect match for a low compliance cart like the Denon 103.
    But too heavy voor most (if not all) MM cartridges.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 2M Red should be fine in the stock light-weight (but pretty rigid) Techie headshell. You could put some posh headshell wires on though to jazz it up a bit and you may find a subtle audio improvement too

Funk Firm's Arthur has something to say about effective mass of tonearms, since his current take on arm-pipe material is for a very low mass, BUT non-resonant material and construction. The techie arm may not be best for Denon 103's or SPU's etc, but for fixed coil cartridges of recent years should be absolutely fine I think. You'll have a far bigger improvement methinks with a replacement exit cable to the amp than farting around with headshells at present. Save the AT shell for summat really serious
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

Yes Dave is right re the stock Technics HS with the Ortofon 2M. Carefully cleaning of cartridge pins should also give a small improvement. Use caig deoxit or kontak, even isopropyl alcohol. Use sparingly.

John

+ Reply to Thread