+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How we used to eat...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah, that explains a lot and also why I can relate to very little of it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

I took the list to relate to the 50s and early 60s, your late 70s Marco is way too recent!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Sure, Clive. I agree. I just read it and didn't mentally assign the info any particular era.

I'm surprised then that someone like Dave, who's about the same age as me, can relate to so much of it.... Some of it is virtually 'third world'. No fridge, for example... Jeez!

I suppose there were no inside toilets either?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

I can relate to much but not all of it. My memories start in the early 60s.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Tom.

In the early 60's I lived in Kingston-upon-Thames and remember being dragged round the markets by mother to do the shopping. On each Monday there was a huge market at Fairfields where you could buy live chickens and it was my job to carry home this shrieking wriggling wreck upside down with a bit of string tied around it's legs. Despite her best efforts to teach me I refused point blank to wring it's neck, so I had to pluck the bloody thing totally bald instead

I remember too a small Mac Fisheries supermarket opening in Kingston market place and mother said it would be the end of the markets and small shops one day. She was right. Sainsburys at that time was still hand patting butter from a huge block, bacon and ham was sliced in front of you from the joints and they made the best cherry pies ever which a sorely lamented when they stopped selling them Woolworths still had wooden floors and gas lamps

I'm Nobody.

I immediately assumed the list refered to the 50's/60's why i mentioned the Spagetti hoax.

I was only a sprog in the 60's but my mother was very old fashioned so we were kinda eating stuff that someone in the 50's would eat.. Bubble & Squeak i loverly i still eat it now.

Nowt wrong with bubble & squeak

Marco.
    Main System

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    I immediately assumed the list refered to the 50's/60's why i mentioned the Spagetti hoax.

I was only a sprog in the 60's but my mother was very old fashioned so we were kinda eating stuff that someone in the 50's would eat.. Bubble & Squeak i loverly i still eat it now.
    My mum was quite traditional too André, but then her mum (my grandma obviously) was probably the most Victorian person I have ever known. She made her own butter, cheese and Jam in the scullery for example, she also cured her own hams. A real Mrs Beeton was my grandma...

Marco, the reference to cream and milk in the same bottle was just that. You have no memory of the milk being delivered and the cream sitting on top of the milk in't bottle?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Indeed. Gotta ask this, were any of you given toast and dripping by your parents? Winter Sunday evenings in our house would consist of us all sitting down to listen to the Top40 countdown on Radio 1 (with Tony Blackburn) whilst toasting bread over the hot coals of the fire and then liberally spreading the dripping from that days beef roast all over the toast... Very bad for you but absolutely scrummy.
    You had to mix the brown jelly in to make it taste good though!

(I expect somebody will attach lewd connotations to this observation)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

Love the brown jelly.. hehe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast