+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember JDI pre / monoblocks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Default Anyone remember JDI pre / monoblocks?

Anyone remember JDI pre amps and monoblocks?

They're from around '89 and an English brand, amybe from Cambridge and distributed by Castle Acoustics. Quite expensive gear too.

Have opportunity to buy the pre and finding it hard to find any info other than a quoted Gramaphone magazine reference (Gramaphone Archive has been taken behind a paywall now... )

I'm Stephen.

One was on eBay last week or the week before. It was quite a high feedback design with fast power supplies which were housed in a separate encloseure. Both pre and power supply were bolted to an integral stand. Alvin Gold, I think, reviewed it for The Audiophile and quite liked it. I have it somewhere, if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    One was on eBay last week or the week before. It was quite a high feedback design with fast power supplies which were housed in a separate encloseure. Both pre and power supply were bolted to an integral stand. Alvin Gold, I think, reviewed it for The Audiophile and quite liked it. I have it somewhere, if I can find it.
    That's the one - hoping to sort something out off eby as it didn't sell.

If you could find the Audiophile review I would be very greatful. i've some Audiophiles around so will have a look too. Old magazines are very handy, although always the brief reviews of non-mainstream stuff that are more interesting but you never know what reviews are in them when picking them up secondhand.

I'm on a bit of a pre-amp trip at the moment, so looking out for rare 80s 90s gear (the era I seem to like - kind of a time for cottage industry high end without all the bling of the '00s)

Surprised and pleased to get so many responses

I'm Dean.

Hi,

I remember these from the late 80s. To my ears, they were a very fine sounding combo. It had good resolution and detail. I remember being very impressed at the time.

Here is a quote from a query I have seen on Hifi Wigwam from a few years ago.

JDI amp review from Gramophone (1989)..

"The Skipton company Castle Acoustics have for some time been liaising with a new British amplifier manufacturer, JDI Amplification, also based in Yorkshire at nearby Ilkley. Castle are now handling all UK and overseas marketing for JDI and at Penta were showing for the first time a two-box preamplifier (signal circuitry in one, power supply in the other) and a monoblock power amplifier. Wide bandwidth, high speed (i.e. transient response) and low noise were the design prerequisites and to this end a novel power supply is used for the preamplifier which has a kind of balanced mode operation which apparently does away with the usual reservoir capacitors and maintains a constant source impedance throughout the audio band. A high accuracy moving-coil only phono stage is fitted which has a claimed dynamic range of 107dB. The power amplifier uses Class A circuits up to the output stage, which then reverts to high accuracy Class AB operation. I was by no means alone in admiring the extremely elegant presentation and cabinet design of these new units. The combination of preamplifier and two mono power amplifiers retails for £3,300."

Rated output power is 60w RMS into 8 ohm
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIDB View Post
    Hi,

I remember these from the late 80s. To my ears, they were a very fine sounding combo. It had good resolution and detail. I remember being very impressed at the time.

"The Skipton company Castle Acoustics have for some time been liaising with a new British amplifier manufacturer, JDI Amplification, also based in Yorkshire at nearby Ilkley. Castle are now handling all UK and overseas marketing for JDI and at Penta were showing for the first time a two-box preamplifier (signal circuitry in one, power supply in the other) and a monoblock power amplifier. Wide bandwidth, high speed (i.e. transient response) and low noise were the design prerequisites and to this end a novel power supply is used for the preamplifier which has a kind of balanced mode operation which apparently does away with the usual reservoir capacitors and maintains a constant source impedance throughout the audio band. A high accuracy moving-coil only phono stage is fitted which has a claimed dynamic range of 107dB. The power amplifier uses Class A circuits up to the output stage, which then reverts to high accuracy Class AB operation. I was by no means alone in admiring the extremely elegant presentation and cabinet design of these new units. The combination of preamplifier and two mono power amplifiers retails for £3,300."

The guy selling it (the pre) said it replaced and bettered his PT PiP2 which is high praise indeed. In research, I noticed an Audio Note 3 pre for sale with JDI amps so perhaps a way of getting detail and resolution with AudioNote lushness.

Phono stage with a claimed 107dB dynamic range.. certainly that reads impressively.

I'm Stephen.

The review was in the Aug '90 of The Audiophile and was indeed by Alvin Gold. Thought it was two pages but it's just one. It was £2,500 at the time.

If you want to give an address I'll get it copied on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Nobody.

The review was in the Aug '90
    '89/'90 sounds about right because they were there when i bought my Radford 'WSCD1' CD Player around that time..

The review was in the Aug '90 of The Audiophile and was indeed by Alvin Gold. Thought it was two pages but it's just one. It was £2,500 at the time.

If you want to give an address I'll get it copied on Monday.
    I've just realised that you mean photocopied and posted? I don't have the mag myself so I would be very greatful for a copy.

However, what do you reckon to just taking a photo of the page? Would your camera focus well enough on the page so the text was clear (with no flash glare)? Then a high enough res photo would be fine (or two photos, half a page each).

Wouldn't want you to spend on postage unnessecarily.

I'm Stephen.

I've tried. I only have my mobile and to get the text in focus takes a total of 10 shots. I can stretch to a stamp, an envelope and photo copy charge.

I'm Nick.

Gents, apologies to resurrect this topic, but in light of below, I'm trying to ascertain if I should be using a low output or high output MC cartridge?

High Output Sumiko BPS - 2.5mV

Low Output Sumiko BPS - 0.5mV

I've been using a high output Sumiko BPS, but they do a low output one as well. With the high output, volume is pretty loud at half volume, would a low output be approx one fifth of this, and is there any discernible advantage to one or the other?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCIDB View Post
    Hi,

"A high accuracy moving-coil only phono stage is fitted which has a claimed dynamic range of 107dB."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast