+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brighter speaker cable? Terminations?

I'm Tirthankar.

Default Re: Brighter speaker cable? Terminations?

IMHO, once one settles down with a set of the critical components, ie source-pre-amp-speakers, cables are the perfect way to tune the sound, along with mains, isolators etc etc.. ending when there is no more improvement / nothing is missed in the music.

Since you are looking for a bit of sparkle, have you considered Nordost? I personally have settled with vdh d102 m3, as they give me the right top end without sounding too forward.

Edit : apologies, saw that the Op is looking for speaker cable. So vdh is not applicable.
    JRiver Media Center with WASAPI(Event) - Asus Essence STX coax - XLO Ultra 4 - PS Audio DL3 (Cullen 4 mod) - VDH D102 mk3 - DIY Stepped Attenuator - VDH D102 mk3 - Quad 306 - AQ Indigo 2 Hyperlitz Biwire - B&W CDM1se = Musical Bliss

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Bonky old chap, with what sources is your system showing a lack of top end sparkle?

I'm really not sure about the idea of using cable to "tune" a system but that may just be me ...
    Hi Jules,
    I would say with all of them...!

(This is why I was wondering about the amp needing a service).
    I agree that fine tuning a system with a change of cables hints of desperation.

..But I'm willing to try...

BW

Rich/Bonky
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm Mark.

Desperation. There is a good word.

Have a listen to a different amp. Maybe even look at room treatment.
    Mark

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
    Desperation. There is a good word.

Have a listen to a different amp. Maybe even look at room treatment.
    I would replace "maybe even" with "definitely"

Increasing amount of "toe in" should affect higher frequencies? It usually adds "brightness" to the sound. Not sure if brighter is same as sparkly though

D

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Ok chaps,
    I've tried for the Belkins - but it seems as if they are as rare as hens' teeth.
    I've tried to order the Van Dammes from MG - but no reply yet.

Suppliers of the other recommended ones seem to be on holiday.

Ho Hum...

Richard.
    What length do you need....mine are sitting in a drawer,your welcome to try the lot( bar the tq blue its plumbed into my sons system). Do a wee mini review on your findings for other members. I see you have the mini t in your stable...no need to spend fortunes on kit when a cheap cable change could be the panacea to let you enjoy your music more. I know we shouldn't use cables as tone controls but some times what we have in play isn't as neutral as we thought.
    PM me if you fancy.

I'm Mark.

I've tried to order the Van Dammes from MG - but no reply yet.

Suppliers of the other recommended ones seem to be on holiday.

Ho Hum...

Richard.
    I am off for a weeks holiday but all orders are despatched and I cant find any email enquiries about van damme that are not completed, so maybe that enquiry never arrived which is a shame.

Maybe borrow Tony's cables if they are long enough and I would suggest to clean all the contacts in your system with IPA or Caig Deoxit and see what effect it has.

I'm Julian.

Hi Jules,
    I would say with all of them...!

(This is why I was wondering about the amp needing a service).
    I agree that fine tuning a system with a change of cables hints of desperation.
    I think your issue is with the amp - I doubt the Linn is backwards at coming forwards and you have a fairly incisive cart!

Do you remember the Sugden sounding better? If so, get it serviced. If not, I would consider moving it on for something with more "sparkle".
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    What length do you need....mine are sitting in a drawer,your welcome to try the lot( bar the tq blue its plumbed into my sons system). Do a wee mini review on your findings for other members. I see you have the mini t in your stable...no need to spend fortunes on kit when a cheap cable change could be the panacea to let you enjoy your music more. I know we shouldn't use cables as tone controls but some times what we have in play isn't as neutral as we thought.
    PM me if you fancy.
    Thanks!
    PM sent.

Bonky.
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123