+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deck me out

I'm Geoff.

Sorry Clive, but I'd politely say that's nonsense. I'm a long way over forty and can hear every tiny difference to the sound, any change of component makes, especially the difference between MCs and MMs (I have always used both). I have very good MMs, but they have no advantage over MCs (and don't forget Deccas, which are sort of on their own configurationwise).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sorry Clive, but I'd politely say that's nonsense. I'm a long way over forty and can hear every tiny difference to the sound, any change of component makes, especially the difference between MCs and MMs (I have always used both). I have very good MMs, but they have no advantage over MCs (and don't forget Deccas, which are sort of on their own configurationwise).
    Geoff, if you can hear the differences at the very top-end then for your age you have the hearing of a bat.

I would say that MMs and MCs present music differently, but it's not so easy to say one is better than another. IME good MMs are more propulsive and solid sounding. MCs will tend to have a more delicate mid-range. Good MMs can do treble better than many think but MMs are more picky about electrical loading. Many MMs want to see just 100pF but most peoples' arm wire and interconnect and then phono stage will often present more like 300pF. Couple this with the inductive load of some valve phono stages there can be lot than prevents an MMs giving it's best. Also 47k often isn't the correct loading. By a good MM I'm meaning one with a line contact tip attached to at least a boron cantilever.

In comparison to Decca....I've had a London Super Gold, London Jubilee and currently run a London Reference on my 301. On the deck beside this I run a Garrott P77i modified by NWA with a Boron cantilever. I also have an AT150MLX which too is line contact and boron. Considering the massive difference in price it's quite interesting to compare the sound. The MMs easily outdo the London in the bass. The London pulls it back in the mid-range with greater openness and clarity but at the expense of some thinness. The treble quality is harder to call. I'm hard pressed to express a preference between the Reference and P77i, it's that close. The London BTW works best in my system with my valve / LCR phono stage loaded at 33k. The MMs are better with one of my solidstate phono stages, with which I use a short unbroken low-capacitance cable from cartridge to phonostage.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I would say that MMs and MCs present music differently, but it's not so easy to say one is better than another. IME good MMs are more propulsive and solid sounding. MCs will tend to have a more delicate mid-range.
    This is exactly my experience of MM & MC and I think anyone can hear the difference. Simply a case of what works best for you.

Well my Tannoy stands arrived yesterday - best £20 I've spent in a long time - got the drivers at an ideal height now I hope. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get a listen till Monday though sadly ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123