+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck me out

I'm Angus.

Hello Julian,
    If you want to stay with MM cartridges and at the same time improve treble and detail - try the Audio Technica AT-155LC. It has a line-contact stylus on a berylium cantilever, and can sound very good indeed.

I just did a test comparison with mine against my AT-OC9/MLII, and it certainly holds its own.

Not familiar with the Stogi, but VE describes it as medium mass so I don't think there would be any problems. I use mine fitted to an Audio Technica AT-1010 arm and it tracks well with no LF resonance problems.

It is now discontinued but second-hand is much better value than an AT150MLX. I have a lightly-used spare; if you want to explore this route drop me a PM.

regards

Angus

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not familiar with your Garrot cartridge, although I assume it is fitted with a Garrot stylus (Weintz parabolic?).
    When Dominic grafted mine onto a boron cantilever he reckoned it was an FG2, Garrott call this a MicroScanner but that's just their name for it. We can't be sure but Dom will be a good judge and it's likely that the current makers of the Garrott find it easier to source and FG2.
    Last edited by Clive; 18-02-2013 at 18:22. Reason: MincroScanner - haha!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    When Dominic grafted mine onto a boron cantilever he reckoned it was an FG2, Garrott call this a MincroScanner but that's just their name for it. We can't be sure but Dom will be a good judge and it's likely that the current makers of the Garrott find it easier to source and FG2.
    Using information provided by vinylengine's data base, your Garrott/Stogi combination will have a LF resonance laying between 8.6 - 10.2Hz, which is ideal. From memory, the Garrott cartridges received very good reviews.

But before you think about changing the cartridge, try experimanting with speaker position and tilt.
    Barry

I'm Julian.

Yes, there's no problem with a technical mismatch re the Garrott - I did the Vinyl Engine resonance calculation before buying.

The Garrott is undoubtedly a very high quality MM cart but I wonder whether the treble is a little too much on the smooth side, which when used with my Charios, was just a little too polite ...

Managed to bag some ideal stands for Tannoys last night on ebay for £20. These will get them raised off the ground 20cm or so, which should make a big difference. I can then make a proper evaluation of the Garrott.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    I think you should ditch the Garrot and invest in a low output MC plus step up.
    Hi Paul, this is exactly what I did before acquiring the Garrott! Didn't get on with MC's at all - the ZYX and Ortofon I tried could be sweet enough on my classical lp's but totally lacking in the kind of oomph & drive I need for all the rock lp's.

I'm Clive.

Hi Julian,

I suspect you've this given your NWA comment: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...est_analog.htm

The phono stage is also important, I find my two solidstate phonostages work better with the Garrott/NWA than does my valve phono stage. The valve stage works for my London but solidstage is a better match for the Garrott but Dom's work was much more important.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Julian.

Yes Clive, I read the NWA article with great interest!

If I do end up deciding that the cart is an issue not sure yet what way to go - there's no way of knowing whether a "pimped" Garrott is going to be better than say, a 2M Black.

It's funny, Geoff (Walpurgis) tried his Graham Slee stage in my system a while back and I thought the performance was strangely similar to the P10 - I was expecting the SS stage to present a quite different presentation!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    It's funny, Geoff (Walpurgis) tried his Graham Slee stage in my system a while back and I thought the performance was strangely similar to the P10 - I was expecting the SS stage to present a quite different presentation!
    Yes, it is surprising that the differences are not as great as you'd imagine. I find a good valve phono stage has more depth both in character and 3D image, mine flows better too. My SS phono stages are more impactful and really pump the bass in a way that extracts the best out of the Garrott. The SS stages are more lively in character too. So it's swing and roundabouts. I also have an AT150MLX, when dialed-in it's excellent too. I think though I prefer my tweaked Garrott. Hard to say vs a 2M Black.

I'm Andrei.

Default MM

I don't really know your gear except by reputation (all good - especially the TT), but despite that I do have a recommendation. I suggest you do some semi-serious research on Moving Coil vs Moving Magnet. The advantages of MM are clear but as I understand it the lower mass of a coil means more agility. I think it is easier for a coil to track 10 - 20 khz than a heavier magnet. The high quality of your other components would support the more fastidious requirements of a moving coil cartridge.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Clive.

I don't know the ages of folks here but there is one other factor. Hearing. There's the theory that once you hearing goes off a little (age-related usually 40+ due to earbug headphones) then the subtlies of MCs at the top-end are not heard and really it's better to try MM as their advantage is still quite obvious. I am talking about good MMs, not cheapUSB deck giveaways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast