Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film scores

I'm Ralph.

Last Tango in Paris.

Score by Oliver Nelson, 'nuff said.

Cheers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    That was going to my top film score too! It's a fantastic album. I'm not really into Gabriel per se, but that album is amazing. Even moreso within the film. Real synergy between the story, sounds and pictures.

I can think of plenty of Soundtracks, but few Scores, it's an interesting distinction. One that straddles both is the score and music from Baz Luhrmann's 'Romeo & Juliet'.

I have always been fascinated by the audio design on 'THX 1138' and 'The Conversation'. Sound design on both was by a chap called Walter Murch. I know it's not music in the traditional sense, but it is a soundtrack, and a score of sorts, using sound to both underline and create the drama.

Check this out: THX 1138 > http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3864002585/
    I regard 'THX 1138' as one of the finest sci-fi / dystopian films ever made. To think that this was Lukas's submission for his degree; so much better, in my opinion, than the 'Star Wars' space opera; but please don't 'flame me' over this, it is IMHO !

I love 'The Conversation'; Coppola is one of the best directors to have come out of Hollywood for a while; every time I watch 'Apocalypse Now' (the director's cut), I'm bowled over.

May I add Mike Oldfield's music to 'The Killing Fields'? When I visited them in Cambodia (and they are quite unlike those depicted in the film) his music ran through my head.

Oh! - I agree wholeheartedly about 'Blade Runner'. Why do the stories of P. K. Dick make such good material for Sci -Fi films? - Discuss.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-07-2009 at 23:29. Reason: spelling and grammar; victim of too many glasses of wine
    Barry

I'm Steve.

A soundtrack, not a film score, but one that proved to be one of the most influencial for me in the subsequent discoveries - The Firm. (GRP records. GRM20072)

I loved the bluesy piano during the film and through this collection I 'discovered' Dave Grusin, Lyle Lovett and Robben Ford, then Van the man, Georgie Fame and the Gene Harris Quartet. Thankyou forever.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Dan.

John, if you are still interested in bands that sound cinematic, then I think the Canadian post-rock genre would be of interest to you....
    bleak, soundscapes of guitar drums and strings with samples..... fantastic stuff
    I recommend these titles:
    Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F#A#(infinity) (I believe part of this was actually used in 28 days later)

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada

The Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra And Tra-La-La Band - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward

And I agree with whoever it was said sigur ros, and I recommend the '()' album

soundtrack wise, I love 'Dirty Harry' 'Blade Runner' 'Amelie'.
    'Fight Club' an excellent sound track too, never quite heard one like it, a mix of original, instrumental music that defies classification, created by the Dust Brothers, amazing stuff. You don't even miss the two actual songs from the film that aren't present (Pixies - Where Is My Mind, Tom Waits - Goin Out West)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12