+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roksan Xerxes & Tabriz Zi

I'm Julian.

Default Roksan Xerxes & Tabriz Zi

Would appreciate some thoughts on the original Xerxes with Tabriz Zi - has anyone heard one? Specifically would like to know about it's style of presentation and tonal balance - what I can expect ? Cheers.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Couldn't tell you how it sounds, but I recollect reading that a serious fault with many original Xerxes was a sagging mdf top-plate.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Dave.

You will find as many people liking the Roksan as like the LP12. It has it's fans and you should hear before you buy.

They do have problems with sagging top plates, so beware.

I'm John.

I owned a Xerxes Tabriz zi, Goldring 1042 for about 20 years and sold mine a couple of months ago to a friend who had always wanted one.

The presentation is quite hard to describe, I had previously owned a Sondek and didn't like the bloating in the bass end, when I heard a Xerxes I could hear bass notes clearly and vocals had a clarity without harshness, it had an amazing soundstage, detailed without being fatiguing. From Led Zeppelin to unaccompanied Bach violin music timing was excellent.

As with everything the decks are getting older, some Xerxes suffered an unfortunate problem with the top board sagging, this can be remedied with a spacer under the main bearing (Roksan supply a kit, mine sagged about 1mm but remained stable for 10 plus years), the early XPS 1 power supply was troublesome, the XPS2 was more reliable and subsequent offerings have been much better.

I'm Julian.

John that is most helpful indeed!

I'm going to PM you about a few other details if that's ok ...

I'm Steve.

I had an original Xerxes with Tabriz Zi and MC25FL for about ten years. I changed it last year but retained the arm and cartridge.

Mine suffered from plinth sag and I purchased the bearing shim kit from Roksan. This lifts the platter away from the top plate, but because it is sagging towards the rear you have to jack up the plinth at the rear in order for the platter to be level.

A few years ago there was a guy in Ireland selling Xerxes top plates. I purchased one. He listed quite a number and I suspect they were seconds because the screw holes to mount the bearing were slightly askew. An easy thing to correct though. I had the deck with this top plate for about 3 years and it didn't sag.

Mine was an early model and i had the original XPS 1 power supply. It failed a number of times. There are two large resistors in the box that get very, very hot and fry the other components within. A friend of mine, handy with a soldering iron, moved these resistors to the rear of the box and mounted them externally on a heatsink. I had no further troubles after that. I can probably find a photo if you are interested.

I sold the deck on eBay last year and the new owner is delighted.
    Michell Gyrodec SE, Roksan Tabriz Zi, Ortofon MC25FL, Roksan Kandy K2 cdp, Musical Fidelity V3 X-PSU, MF V3 X-LPS, MF A308, Quad 22L2 Floorstanders, MF V3 X-CAN, Senn HD595.

I'm Julian.

Thanks Steve, all good to know.

If you can find an example with minimal sag, does that mean it's not likely to sag any more??

Any idea how the RB300 compares to the Tabriz on the Xerxes? It must sound better than it looks ...

And interested to know how are you finding the Gyrodec in comparison ...

I'm Steve.

Originally, my Xerxes had an SME 3009 SII arm. So arm and platter was quite a weight, no wonder the top plate sagged. Don't know if other factors may contribute, room temperature or humidity for instance ? I'm unable to say when a top plate becomes stable. My new one was, but only ever fitted with the Tabriz.

When I sold it, I sourced an RB250 off eBay and fitted an AT95E that I had here as a spare. When I set it all up to try before listing for sale, I was very surprised how the RB250/AT95 combination sounded. On that basis, I think an RB300 with good cartridge will do the Xerxes proud.

My Gyrodec is an indulgence of a longing for one ever since I saw my neighbour's about 30 years ago. I'm not that discerning a listener (getting on now) but I don't regret changing to the Gyro, neither would I refuse to have my Xerxes back. Both delight !
    Michell Gyrodec SE, Roksan Tabriz Zi, Ortofon MC25FL, Roksan Kandy K2 cdp, Musical Fidelity V3 X-PSU, MF V3 X-LPS, MF A308, Quad 22L2 Floorstanders, MF V3 X-CAN, Senn HD595.

I'm Julian.

Yes the Gyrodec is a tidy looking deck - quite pricey now aswell with decent arm and psu ...

I'll try to keep an open mind about the RB300!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Yes the Gyrodec is a tidy looking deck - quite pricey now aswell with decent arm and psu ...

I'll try to keep an open mind about the RB300!
    I auditioned the Gyro (basic AC ps) v the original Xerxes in the mid 90's. Conclusion was the Gyro was the better sounding deck. No worries about saggy top plates.

Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast