+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running in a DAC

I'm David.

when i got my first "hifi" it was suggested to me that i set the speakers up facing each other and reversed the polarity of one of them so as they would be moving in same direction as each other when face on... if that makes sence. this way i could leave them on all night at a slightly higher volume than if they were facing out into the room and they would burn in quicker. to this day im not sure if he was pulling my leg. i did it none the less!
    these days i just put a cd on repeat at a volume that wont intrude. but even that is only when some clown turns my naim system off and it gets left off over night and sounds bloody rubbish in when i find out, shout at people, and turn it back on again in the morning.
    in most cases as kalozois100 points out the burnin is part of the experience of hifi buying

and dont let anyone tell you its all in our heads, i guaruntee that with the right equipent it would be possible to measure a difference in the sound from my set up even when its just been left switched off (i know this is slightly different to "burning in" but im sure some of the same priciples must apply)

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Running them like that is supposed to cancel each other out , gives the drive units chance to loosen up without sounding too loud

I'm Simon.

Many thanks for the advice everyone.

I should be ordering the DAC later this week. I'm pretty sure it will be Stan's new model because I was also thinking of buying a higher quality audio card for one of my PCs and Stan's new DAC would do both jobs.

Regards,

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12