+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filthy Vinyl

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just dug out some old vinyl from the loft after 27 years and they are filthy. Any suggestions for cleaning, I know there are some good vinyl cleaning machines but not sure if I want to invest in one. Are there any DIY methods that are proven or can anyone suggest Vinyl cleaning services.
    Hi James, I endorse all of what has been said here. To give you a wider outlook on what people do or the lengths they go to to clean the cherished vinyl go onto Google and type in 'cleaning vinyl records'. You will get many a no no crazy whacko methods, glue?, to steam (steam vapour), don't discount this latter one because if done guardedly and with the right approach this is one of the best methods I have come across in tandem with the regular methods. A vacuum lift off is a must and this can be achieved by an adaptation of a household vac or better still an RCM. If you want to see what steam vapour can do next time you boil a kettle for a cuppa lift the kettle lid and use a pair of dirty specs (thats if you were 'em) or a plate and you will see just how much water vapour is collected waiting to be towelled off taking dirt with it, go see the demonstrations, ignore the one where this guy completely warps his record and relies on the record to return to shape on cooling down. This is an absolute no can do.

Question; after 27 years storage in a loft with high temperatures in summer and below zero in winter how have your vinyl records faired?

I'm James.

After 27 years lying unprotected in a box in the loft they are not too bad except very dirty. I was surprised that even though they were in record sleeves with inner sleeves intact the surface of the record has become extremely dirty and dusty. I do not think they have warped much if at all. Will be interesting to see hear how they sound after such a long period of time.

I'm Martin.

How many are there? If its only 20 or 30 I would be tempted to use the 'glue' method as that is quite effective, if messy and time consuming.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How many are there? If its only 20 or 30 I would be tempted to use the 'glue' method as that is quite effective, if messy and time consuming.
    Don't !!! Plenty safer manual cleaning methods on the market. Mo-Fi do a manual fluid plus their cleaning brush (£30) or get some micro fiber cleaning towels and make up a solution from purified water and 1/10th Isopropyl Alcohol. Later solution should be under £15.

I have been using a Knosti (actually a pair) for a couple of years. They work well but the fluid is not as reusable as they claim. I have yet to find a good way of filtering out the really small particulates from the leftovers for very dirty/smokey records.

The cheapest place to buy is http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/produ...Record-Cleaner - but I got the last batch of the fluid from a German shop which proved cheaper even with shipping for 3 bottles than any UK supplier.

I tend to clean about a rack (15) records at a atime then drain off the fluid through the supplied filters and then leave it to settle for a week while in the meantime cleaning the unit under running water and lettnig dry before filling with fresh and starting on the next batch (using the second rack from the other cleaner). I alternate between units as one has brushes mounted tighter and so they are a bit harder on the record (and my hands).

Works well and only maybe 1 in 20 charity shop purchases need a second clean. Most come up looking pretty new, especially with fresh fluid. Used fluid, while cleaning well, does leave some streaking on the inner runouts.

Having got finally too bored of dirty fluid from the Knosti I have ordered a water filter jug as these can apparently be used for spirits and so may work for their random mix fluid... we shall see.

I'm MYLES.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
    Having got finally too bored of dirty fluid from the Knosti I have ordered a water filter jug as these can apparently be used for spirits and so may work for their random mix fluid... we shall see.
    Thats a darned good idea, keep us posted as to whether it filters efficiently.

Well, I got me one of these for £12.95: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002S0NS5E

One obvious difference between filtering water and filtering a propietary fluid is that you don't get a chance to rinse away the loose carbon particles and prime the dry filter without sacrificing some of the cleaning fluid.

I started with some used but not filthy Knosti fluid and it took about 5 cycles to do the above. The fluid didn't come out pristine but it was noticeably cleaner than the yellow stuff I started with.

Tried this on a batch of nasty 12"singles I got from a friend and the results were good. No specks of dust left on the vinyl from previously used fluid only filtered through paper as provided by Knosti but the fluid did behave slightly differently in that it ran off much easier which may not be such a good thing as it is dtffent to the way the fresh fluid works. The records dried vey quickly, faster than before, and appeared OK on quick inspection. Not had much of a chance to listen to the results yet.

I then poured the used fluid back into the jug which also meant no funnel needed BUT there was so much real dirt in the fluid it blocked up the filter so it dripped very very slowly. Oops. I had to dean the whole thing out and shake the filler clean which meant losing the fluid in the filter unit. Lesson learnt: Use the paper filters and funnel to empty the.reservoir into the jug.

Overall a good idea. I want see what other brands of filter may do in the future and if the change in the characteristics affect the anti-static properties and / or the sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12