+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Niall.

Default Hello

Hi all, I'm here because I don't have a system and wish to build one, unfortunately on a tight budget. Main priority is an integrated amp with phono stage, optical input (would consider separate DAC), and output for 2 speaker sets (not essential). I'm currently using KEF Crestas, yet to get a second pair.

Need to be able to handle Autechre to Steely Dan!

Budget < £400

I'm ILOB.

Welcome to AOS
    I suggest you read our Cheap as Chips thread for inspiration
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ht=cheap+chips
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

Hello Niall and welcome to AoS. You need to look at eBay for used Japanese amps with phono inputs, there are plenty and some of them are going for a bargain. The optical input will need to come from a DAC but there are lots of those around, too. It's a tight budget but do-able.

I'm Niall.

Hi John, Martin, thanks for the welcome. I've had a look at cheap as chips, definitely some more reading to be done there (ill-defined parameters in an audiophile forum???), very instructive. I had been expecting to end up with a NAD or low end Marantz with a Dual or similar turntable, having had a similar set up before, but am definitely aiming for something a bit more interesting and hopefully with a superior result.

What's the story with the Japanese amps, are they just of a fairly high quality and easy to come by?

I've seen a Rega Brio for £160 and a P2 for £140, assuming they're in good working order hopefully I'll pick them up. Also a Beresford Caiman DAC here for £100 though combined would be over budget (no cables yet and haven't actually bought my Odroid X-2).

MartinT Guest

Japanese amps are going fairly cheaply and many of them had decent phono stages. You've mentioned Marantz (Japanese) and NAD (UK design, Chinese manufacture I think) already.

The Rega Brio would give a step-up performance-wise. A P2 or Pro-Ject phono amp would do fine to start with. Caiman is an excellent choice for a DAC and very moddable.

Cables can start cheap and go sky-high. Look at Belkin cables to start with.

I'm Niall.

Think I'm going to hold off on the DAC for the moment unless I make some savings on the amp/TT.

The Rega Brio is the clamshell model. £160. Wondering if that's a reasonable price, heard of them going for less than half that.
    Actual | Desired:
    Sources: Ancient Dell laptop | Rega P2/? or Technics SL1210/? or ?/? - Odroid X-2 / ?
    Amp: Kind of fancy portable speaker (i.e. better than most iPod docks) | No idea
    DAC: None | No idea

+ Reply to Thread