+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Solid at Radlett Audio

I'm Dave.

Default Something Solid at Radlett Audio

Something Solid EXR rack.

Just about the best sounding (or not sounding) rack I have used. Maybe not the last word in beautiful furniture but certainly works very well as an equipment support.

A shown, it is approx £400 but various options are available with the number of shelves and type of shelf. Here, you can have veneered MDF, ply or at extra cost, the balsa/ply laminate shelves which really do take the performance up a notch or two.

This is their budget rack but there is also the XR coming in at approx £800 with four shelves. Excellent.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can speak from experience here and badgered Dave enough about these racks, or at least their predecessors. They're good, VERY good indeed and although the suspension system looks odd at first (pre-tensioned yaughting-sail ropes), it works, especially with the balsa shelves.

Dave, you must try the simple HS24 stands Mark does for £125 or so. We sold dozens of these and again, they're better for smaller lighter speakers IMO than the tubular things everyone else sells
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

So hifi dave and I work as a team eh? Well, Mark Orr doesn't have many dealers as far as I know, but Deco Audio in Aylesbury and Signals Bucklesham (Ipswich) stock them as well. Also, I *think* Audioflair do too.

OK folks?

I'm Buffet-blower.

I've used the SL24 stands under my old Royds and they worked superbly - better than the Royd's own stands in fact. Simple, inexpensive and highly recommended...

If the racks are equally as good (no reason to think not) then must be worth a go. I know it's not always the best thing to do, but what about using a turntable on the top shelf? I use an Atacama Equinox rack which whilst fine for the other hardware, I'm never convinced a turntable it that happy sat on top.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm David.

Oh look, some Something Solid HS20 or 24's with the speakers on top...
    Last edited by DSJR; 10-02-2013 at 15:52.

synsei Guest

I have no doubt the SL equipment rack is very good at what it does but I could not live with its aesthetics, sorry Dave

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I have no doubt the SL equipment rack is very good at what it does but I could not live with its aesthetics, sorry Dave
    Yup - a bit workmanlike perhaps? May look better with some kit on the shelves perhaps.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm David.

Bloody hypocrites you lot

Do you buy such things for any supposed sonic benefits, or do you buy purely with your eyes? All I can say from my own experience is looks or not, they do work, as do the speaker stands - in my personal experience. i still claim title to a pair of very solid stands mark once made, which I used on my ATC 20 Pro's back in the day. I think Dave still has 'em although I was going to try to lift them into my loft at one point..

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Bloody hypocrites you lot

All I'd say is that where the rack's concerned it may need a Stage 3 wife-convincing favour to be implimented. Stage 1 being easy to convince, Stage 10 being impossible and would most certainly involve housework of some sort.

<actually I quite like the look of it if I'm honest>
    Richard.

I'm Dave.

I must own up to the fact that I haven't pictured the rack in the best situation possible to show off it's true beauty. Actually, placed against a (clean) wall on a carpet fully loaded with equipment and cables tucked out of sight, it looks quite interesting but more to the point, it does sound exceptional.

I have photographed it with the first thing to hand on top but a turntable or CD player usually live on this shelf.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast