+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jessops and Amazon

I'm Mike.

Default Jessops and Amazon

TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Neil.

Very true, however there is some truth to some of their woes coming from poor management. Interestingly the guy who took over HMV came straight from Jessops a pattern of stupidity in management perhaps?

People vote and go where its cheap and in my view don't give consideration to the bigger picture. When all the independents have gone and there is no alternative source what then? Prices will rise. Amazon and other companies like them will dominate and dictate what can and can't happen.

Short sightedness and greed will/has create a handful of monopolies.

Do I buy from Amazon yes but only things I can't get elsewhere and mostly from marketplace sellers who at least pay their taxes unlike Amazon.

I will always be happier paying a wee bit more to support bricks and mortar shops and I don't consider a faceless warehouse to be that.

Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Very true, however there is some truth to some of their woes coming from poor management. Interestingly the guy who took over HMV came straight from Jessops a pattern of stupidity in management perhaps?

People vote and go where its cheap and in my view don't give consideration to the bigger picture. When all the independents have gone and there is no alternative source what then? Prices will rise. Amazon and other companies like them will dominate and dictate what can and can't happen.

Short sightedness and greed will/has create a handful of monopolies.

Do I buy from Amazon yes but only things I can't get elsewhere and mostly from marketplace sellers who at least pay their taxes unlike Amazon.

I will always be happier paying a wee bit more to support bricks and mortar shops and I don't consider a faceless warehouse to be that.

Regards Neil
    Yes, easy to blame Amazon when it could be bad management.
    I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but have found better purchases from Ebay as well as independents.
    Good example, my bike last year from a shop in Bridgewater.
    Lots of cycling gear is cheaper from shops online than Amazon
    Hadn't thought about the tax much. Will look harder for alternatives
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Martin.

Re the taxes - what people forget (or don't understand) is that these companies do pay taxes - they just don't pay them in the UK. All companies have a legal obligation to their shareholders to manage these things as optimally as possible. The reason Amazon and Starbucks etc arrange their affairs to pay tax in other jurisdictions is because the tax rate is lower than it is in the UK. If we were to lower the rate of corporation tax in the UK a lot more companies would pay their taxes here instead of overseas. The same applies to personal income tax. Drop the tax rate and tax revenue actually increases.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Re the taxes - what people forget (or don't understand) is that these companies do pay taxes - they just don't pay them in the UK. All companies have a legal obligation to their shareholders to manage these things as optimally as possible. The reason Amazon and Starbucks etc arrange their affairs to pay tax in other jurisdictions is because the tax rate is lower than it is in the UK. If we were to lower the rate of corporation tax in the UK a lot more companies would pay their taxes here instead of overseas. The same applies to personal income tax. Drop the tax rate and tax revenue actually increases.
    Point taken.
    'Course the benefit of being in the EU is that we all have the same tax rates and everything (joke)
    Wonder if Luxembourg has been given a talking to
    Wonder if the French miss Depardieu .....

Mike

I'm Andrew.

Amazon, starbucks etc has actually done nothing wrong, as stated they have paid taxes. This government makes tax avoidence a simple activity for clever accountants who know the law inside out. Things could change if the law was maybe tightened up.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread