+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Me saying hello

I'm Mark.

Not sure about uploading photos and this isn't a particularly good one, but a taster of the Thorens.
    I'll find my disc that contains all the build images that I took and make up a report (in due course).

Oops, that was a tad too big. Trying a smaller image;

Last edited by Vinyl turner; 03-03-2017 at 00:31. Reason: photo too large

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ooh - looking good! Don't be embarassed about fitting the Ortofon arm, it's all in keeping visually and performance-wise it is easily the equal of the SME. Which version of the SME arm did you have: fixed or detachable headshell? And what cartridge are you using?

Regarding the bass performance of the Thorens 124, well it's good enough for me, but others prefer the 'weightier' bass presented by the likes of the Garrard 301 and 401. But you say you find playing CDs to be bass light as well. So that suggests the problem lies downstream with electronics and the speakers.

I use B&W DM2s in my second system, where they are fed by either a miniwatt Amptastic class D amp (12 watt/channel), or a Quad 520 (135 watt/channel) amplifier. There is no lack of bass with either amplifier.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Bigger the better with photos. The TD124 looks very fine!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ooh - looking good! Don't be embarassed about fitting the Ortofon arm, it's all in keeping visually and performance-wise it is easily the equal of the SME. Which version of the SME arm did you have: fixed or detachable headshell? And what cartridge are you using?

Regarding the bass performance of the Thorens 124, well it's good enough for me, but others prefer the 'weightier' bass presented by the likes of the Garrard 301 and 401. But you say you find playing CDs to be bass light as well. So that suggests the problem lies downstream with electronics and the speakers.

I use B&W DM2s in my second system, where they are fed by either a miniwatt Amptastic class D amp (12 watt/channel), or a Quad 520 (135 watt/channel) amplifier. There is no lack of bass with either amplifier.
    Thanks Barry,
    I'll pull off the photo from my phone where I have the SME series II improved (detachable) installed, while lining up the Ortofon arm. The cart is Ortofon VMS 20E mk II.

Thanks for your comments regarding my bass 'problem' - which may just be my perception rather than a real tangible problem !

This evening I dug out my old Technics amp and will connect that up later in the week to see if I can use it to discount any problem at the speaker end (somebody suggested a possibility may be with the cross-over !): so long as I can continually discount certain elements I can eventually come to a conclusion - " my ears ".

I'm Mark.

Here we go :-

I'm Geoff.

That Thorens looks very pretty Mark.

Not sure how the second arm works though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That Thorens looks very pretty Mark.

Not sure how the second arm works though.
    Thank you.
    Do you mean it needs to be connected ?? Maybe that's why it's lacking in bass (or anything)

I'm Martin.

Hi Mark

Try some NVA LS5 cable, also NVA interconnects (not the SC, the SSC) if not using them already. Will get the best out of the passive. The speaker cable will help with the bass - assuming it isn't a speaker problem. Upgrade the pre to the P50SA or if you can the P90SA.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mark.

Thanks Martin,
    I have to admit my speaker cable is due to be upgraded as it is quite old and I made my own interconnects.
    Do the two other NVAs give a bit more umph than the unit I have ?
    TBH I am keeping my eye out for a decent Croft pre-amp, but wanting to eradicate all other possible sources of 'trouble' before spending that kind of money.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl turner View Post
    Thanks Martin,
    I have to admit my speaker cable is due to be upgraded as it is quite old and I made my own interconnects.
    Do the two other NVAs give a bit more umph than the unit I have ?
    TBH I am keeping my eye out for a decent Croft pre-amp, but wanting to eradicate all other possible sources of 'trouble' before spending that kind of money.
    Yep there is no lack of umph. The stepped attenuator units are - ahem - quite a step up all round.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12