+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could I damage a new cart with too much tracking force during setup?

I'm Nick.

Thanks Dominic - I am a bit confused now as I would say the cantilever IS deflecting by a 'noticeable' amount eg I can notice a definite change of angle when the cartridge is lowered onto the record. But this is a brand new cart and certainly has never been dropped heavily onto a record, I always use the lever to lower the cart.
    Really not sure now if I have caused some damage with the extra 1g weight?
    I seem to remember that on the DV20X carts the cantilever should be quite stiff eg when lowered onto the record it should not change angle at all.
    Can anyone else (DV20X owners) confirm this?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Thanks Dominic - I am a bit confused now as I would say the cantilever IS deflecting by a 'noticeable' amount eg I can notice a definite change of angle when the cartridge is lowered onto the record. But this is a brand new cart and certainly has never been dropped heavily onto a record, I always use the lever to lower the cart.
    Really not sure now if I have caused some damage with the extra 1g weight?
    I seem to remember that on the DV20X carts the cantilever should be quite stiff eg when lowered onto the record it should not change angle at all.
    Can anyone else (DV20X owners) confirm this?
    I can't see you have done damage unless you dropped the cartridge heavily onto the record. The cantilever does deflect up quite a bit on this cartridge if I remember correctly but not so much that the body is very close to the record when playing. The optimum playing weight is about 1.9 grm from memory. The photo looks all right assuming the low camera angle makes the gap appear a little less. It's certainly not in danger of the bottom touching the record.

Just one point comparing your new cartridge to mine (in the box) the 'bulge' behind the stylus appears to protrude more so they may have changed the design slightly. This will make the protruding bottom appear closer to the record. Otherwise it's possible the arm is sloping down slightly at the back and not dead parallel with the record surface.
    Last edited by Audioman; 03-02-2013 at 12:15.

I'm Nick.

Thanks Paul - Its good to hear that there should be a little 'give' when the stylus makes contact with the record surface. I couldn't recall if this was the case with these carts.The housing does protrude quite a bit below the cart body which does significantly reduce overall clearance - contributing to my paranoia e.g. is it sitting too low?
    But the main thing is that it does still sound fine, no distortion or weirdness - always a good sign!

I'm Dave.

An extra gram or three won't damage a cartridge in the manner you describe and the pic looks perfectly OK to me. If it also sounds good, then stop worrying and enjoy it.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Looks fine in the pic. Dynavector's (10's and 20's) have ridden lower in my esperience

If the big and bold presentation suits you, then just enjoy the music
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

Hi guys - thanks for all your input.
    As it goes, the problem got worse through the day, until the cantilever housing was almost skimming the record. Can't be right. I will return it to dealer as faulty.

I'm Nobody.

I would have anyway Nick. Worry is too much, i suffer from it all the time

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Hi guys - thanks for all your input.
    As it goes, the problem got worse through the day, until the cantilever housing was almost skimming the record. Can't be right. I will return it to dealer as faulty.
    Right thing to do. Sounds like you couldn't have caused this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12