+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could I damage a new cart with too much tracking force during setup?

I'm Nick.

Default Could I damage a new cart with too much tracking force during setup?

Hi all. Quick question to hopefully help my paranoia!
    Setting up a new cartridge today I was using a bubble level on the headshell to check VTA.
    I had already set the tracking force at 2g (range is 1.8 - 2.2g)
    The bubble level has a weight of 1g, but I forgot to roll 1g off the tracking force before lowering the stylus onto a record. So the cart was resting on the record with a force of 3g.
    It was only there for a couple of seconds before I lifted it, and the record was not spinning. I probably did that a couple of times before I realised my mistake.
    So my question is, could I have accidentally damaged the stylus
    /cantilever suspension by adding that extra 1g to the recommended tracking force, even for such a short time? Or is that not enough extra weight to cause any problem?

I'm Nobody.

I doubt it. I recon a styli tracking a badly warped record may apply more force to the cantilever IMHO.

I'm Geoff.

No, it'll be fine!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Hi all. Quick question to hopefully help my paranoia!
    Setting up a new cartridge today I was using a bubble level on the headshell to check VTA.
    I had already set the tracking force at 2g (range is 1.8 - 2.2g)
    The bubble level has a weight of 1g, but I forgot to roll 1g off the tracking force before lowering the stylus onto a record. So the cart was resting on the record with a force of 3g.
    It was only there for a couple of seconds before I lifted it, and the record was not spinning. I probably did that a couple of times before I realised my mistake.
    So my question is, could I have accidentally damaged the stylus
    /cantilever suspension by adding that extra 1g to the recommended tracking force, even for such a short time? Or is that not enough extra weight to cause any problem?
    If you were playing a Peters and Lee album your stylus is irretrievably damaged and you need to use only a cassette player from now on.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm John.

short term over weight should not be a problem esp if it a new cart with new cantilever rubber
    so i would say u will be fine

if your still worried post a pic of the cartridge playing a record and get as close to the cart as u can for close up pic
    https://j7rewires.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out J7 Rewires

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557054222982

I'm Nick.

Thanks guys.
    OK well here's a pic, looking horizontally across the record surface.
    The DV20X's always look like there's not much clearance anyway, due to the cantilever housing extending a bit beneath the cart body.
    Hope this pic will be helpful - please let me know if you think this looks OK.
    Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Don't worry - you won't have done any damage whatsoever. You are much more likely to cause groove damage through tracking under-weight than tracking over-weight.

And in your case the record wasn't spinning.
    Barry

I'm Nick.

Thanks Barry - but I'm not worried about groove damage (to the record)
    I'm worried about damage to the cantilever suspension of the cartridge, by accidentally overloading it.
    I'm really just asking if thats even something I should be worried about, at that kind of tracking weight (3g)?
    The reason I was suddenly paranoid is that looking at the cart being lowered on to the record, when it makes contact I noticed some 'give' in the stylus e.g. it didn't remain at the same angle, but seemed to sag slightly down as it took the weight of the tonearm.
    Then I wasn't sure if it was doing that before, or if it's supposed to do that?
    Suddenly got worried as its a brand new £££ cart!
    Anyway here's a slightly better pic, if that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Thanks Barry - but I'm not worried about groove damage (to the record)
    I'm worried about damage to the cantilever suspension of the cartridge, by accidentally overloading it.
    I'm really just asking if thats even something I should be worried about, at that kind of tracking weight (3g)?
    The reason I was suddenly paranoid is that looking at the cart being lowered on to the record, when it makes contact I noticed some 'give' in the stylus e.g. it didn't remain at the same angle, but seemed to sag slightly down as it took the weight of the tonearm.
    Then I wasn't sure if it was doing that before, or if it's supposed to do that?
    Suddenly got worried as its a brand new £££ cart!
    Anyway here's a slightly better pic, if that helps.
    Again don't worry too much. If your cartridge has a high compliance value (> 30 cu) then it is quite possible that the cantilever angle will 'reduce' on playing (that is, when subject to the recommended playing weight).

Rest assured - even if you caused the suspension to 'bottom out', because the record wasn't spinning, you will have done absolutely no damage to either the record, or to the cartridge.

Sleep easy!
    Barry

I'm Dominic.

Those particular Dynavector carts have particular design flaw in that the bobbin internally that the tension screw affixes to is rather short. I have had to re set quite a few suspensions on these. If the cantilever deflects by any noticeable amount when the cartridge is lowered onto the record then it may need correcting. However, from your description of the event, I doubt there is any concern, this is just a message to users of the carts that may have dropped the cart heavily onto the record surface.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast