+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD: Linn fit arm for a Lenco L75...

I'm Richard.

Default WTD: Linn fit arm for a Lenco L75...

Hi All,

I'm looking for a cheap Linn fit arm (or close, say pivot to spindle distance between 209 & 213mm) to try in my L75 and see if I like it before going to the trouble of building a new plinth. The stock arm is, I suspect (hope!), seriously limiting the deck's performance.

I don't really want to pay more than £50 (more than double what I paid for the deck!), an LVV would be ideal, but any on the arms listed here on VE would be considered.

I am in Switzerland, so you'd need to be willing to post internationally.

Many Thanks, Richard

I'm Nobody.

Dave (Thing Fish) just mounted an 'Ittock' on his 'GL75' have a word with him, he seems very happy with the combo.

I'm Mike.

Most arms that are listed there will leave you with a horrible VTA as the original arm is very low.
    To fix this you must be able to drop the tone arm base about 8-10mm more than possible on a Pro-Ject 9cc for example. (Which is the one i bought for my experiments)
    Besides, the original arm is not that bad really, just make sure you use good quality knife bearings and also make sure the horisontal bearings are cleaned, and oiled with a very light oil and adjusted.

Regards
    /Mike

I'm Richard.

@ Rarebird - a little more than I am willing to spend at the moment I have a modified RB250 or original 774 to go on it if it shows promise as a replacement for my LP12 and I house it in a new plinth.

@ Mike - thanks, yes, I was going to add in my post that the arm mount would also be a factor on my decision due to VTA issues, but figured it got too complicated if I was too specific. I intend checking on anything that is offered, and in the end will use a spacer at the headshell or additional mats if necessary.

On the stock 75 arm, I already replaced the v-blocks, but using a DIY bodge of some slot head screws with Vs filed into them, and have used kite string to strengthen the balance weight floppy join.

Sound is good dynamically like this (with a DL110 mounted in it), and bass performance is stunning, but soundstage and imaging is nowhere near my bodged up LP12. I need to see whether the L75 can do the imaging thing before investing too much time into it, and want to see what role the arm is playing.

Thanks, Richard

I'm Mike.

The L75 can certainly do imaging
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Most arms that are listed there will leave you with a horrible VTA as the original arm is very low.
    To fix this you must be able to drop the tone arm base about 8-10mm more than possible on a Pro-Ject 9cc for example. (Which is the one i bought for my experiments)
    I know what your saying but a lot of people intend stacking platters, i do but will probably be an acrylic platter ontop of the original..in other words a 22mm acrylic matt

I'm Carl.

5mm achromatic works a treat on the lenco to help get VTA right. Worked well for me with a Jelco :-)

I'm Nobody.

well ive already got a 5mm slate audio mat it's ok with my arm on the Lenco..still gonna stack..

+ Reply to Thread