+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can interconnects go bad over time???

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
    Conductor Material: HYBRID: High purity dense Silver coated high purity Matched Crystal OFC + Linear Structured Carbon ® saturated layer(s)

http://www.vandenhul.com/p_B09.aspx
    Looking at the above links it is clear that VdH has used the carbon layers to discharge any static charge build up on the dielectric. This is a common technique used on cables that are subject to frequent flexing, such as microphone cables; though in these a single layer only is used directly underneath the outer shielding.

I don't understand what VdH is talking about the "conversion of magnetic fields into electric fields". All adding a layer of a mediocre conductor, such as carbon, will do is to increase the skin-depth slightly.

I have assembled cables using this low-noise construction, and used them without any problem for the last thirty years.

Can you say in what way the cables are noisy? Is it a white-noise 'hiss', or is it intermittent 'crackling'?
    Barry

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Hi Barry, the noise is like a constant high freq interference. definitely not a white noise hiss or intermittent crackling type noise.

I'm going to work through removing the power from various bits of kit to see if I can isolate the source. I'm still not convinced its not just the combination of the cable and the amp as I tested both cables with another set up in the same room last night without issue.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhit View Post
    Makes you wonder if it's something to do with the carbon breaking down, being as they're hybrid construction. They've had very positive reviews over the years, what always put me off was the source grounding and the fact there seem to be a few counterfeit ones doing the rounds.

John
    ... and the fact they stop working after 10 years!
    Bernie.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    ... and the fact they stop working after 10 years!
    Yup, that too

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Default Can interconnects go bad over time???

Or maybe 12........time flies
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

Hi Ian,

Ever tried them without the shield being connected to either end? Just wondered if the shield is acting like an aerial at all.

Regards

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Hi Ian,

Ever tried them without the shield being connected to either end? Just wondered if the shield is acting like an aerial at all.

Regards
    That's a damn good idea

John

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

My logical problem solving part of the brain suggests (IMHO) that it is not the cables at all, but something else that has changed with the refit into the new rack. If you've tried them in another setup and there was no problem then it must point to that? Are you using them on a different input? With just one set and one source, do you still get the problem? And have you tried another i/c in the new setup to see if it is just with these? All "suck eggs" advice, but a bit of methodical testing should isolate the issue I hope.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

If I were a betting man I'd wager that you haven't got an effective earth on the Jungson amp.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    If I were a betting man I'd wager that you haven't got an effective earth on the Jungson amp.
    Same here, I'd attach a ground cable to the amp chassis, running to an earth point on the distribution block and arrange the VDH with ground at the amp end despite the manufacturers recommendation of source end.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast