+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 166 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod your Beresford 7520

I'm Jerry.

Default Mod your Beresford 7520

I am the last person who should start this thread but I thought it would be useful to pull together some comments from other threads. (Stan, Mods and anyone else-please correct anything I have got wrong)
    Stan has provided a very high quality dac which is designed for easy modding especially with regard to the op-amps which are socketed. The stock NE5532P works fine but to put it in context are 62 pence each at Digi-key.
    The replacement op-amps that I have seen mentioned to date are:
    LM 4562 (recommended by Stan)
    OPA2132
    OPA2134
    THS4032
    LME4970HA (circular unit, might involve cutting legs)

The 4562 costs less than £10 for a pair from ebay. Trailer has noticed an improvement with this one as have I-fitted it today.
    So lets see some more suggestions and feedback. Dont forget to detail cost and where the parts are available from.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    The 4562 costs less than £10 for a pair from ebay. Trailer has noticed an improvement with this one as have I-fitted it today.
    So lets see some more suggestions and feedback. Dont forget to detail cost and where the parts are available from.
    I have ordered the THS4032 from Farnell (3 in case I fry one ) and am currently running with the OPA2132. Further info to follow...

Can you please elaborate on how the 4562 is sounding with some comparisons if poss. It will also help if you say what phones you are using to run the tests.

Ken

I'm Jerry.

Great, please keep us all informed on the new op-amp.
    This is my reply to someone who asked the same question by pm:
    'A definate improvement in the soundstage and complex music is presented in a way that all the instruments are clearly recognisable. There is a clarity to higher notes that is really superb.
    For a tenner its a no-brainer.'
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jerry.

Oh sorry should have mentioned headphones. At the moment I am not using any-I had a bad experience getting some fake earphones from Ebay but I have managed to get my money back. I dont want to spend a lot as I dont like headphones very much. (But I want to see how good the headphone amp is!)
    Jerry

I'm Jim.

Changing out the standard op-amps for the 4562's to me was a significant improvement.

I have found more detail and a much wider sound-stage. The biggest improvement was in the treble and the mid range. For example, cymbals sound more natural and less "splashy" (have a listen to the opening of Radioheads "Airbag" off "OK Computer"), and there is more "lifelike presence" to instruments such as a kick drum and an acoustic guitar. The bass seems more refined too. Even for someone who likes a lot of bass it is still there but more controlled.

I'd be interested to hear what other think too with their op amp experiences.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

Ordered a few sets of different opamps and should have them next week , will post my findings.

Default Try upgrading your USB cable used to connect the 7520.

I know digits are digits, and USB uses a "handshake" to confirm data is sent. NEVERTHELESS, I changed a perfectly fine standard USB cable for a U.S. $30 Belkin Gold Series USB Shielded 2.0 cable, which is well-shielded, 20 AWG wire, that has gold-plated connectors and is yet very flexible .

Hooked the A end up to my Mac computer , and the B end to my Beresford TC-7520. My Lord. What a difference. It is much more easy to listen to at higher volume without any strain. Notes are richer, and it is easier to pick-out the musicians in the soundstage. Things sound effortless now, and must have been a bit strained/distorted with the standard cable.

Voodoo? I'll trust my own ears.

Cheapest darn upgrade yet for me.

YMMV.

Kurt
    System 1
    Apple via USB, Beresford TC-7520, Audio Refinement Complete int amp, Linn Kan II speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub

System 2
    Apple to Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520, Linn AV5103 preamp, Aragon 4004 amp, Linn Sara 9 speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub

HT System
    Apple to Airport Express, TC-7520, Onkyo PR-SC885 pre/pro, active AVI Duo speakers (fronts), AVI Duo passive (rears), Martin Logan Descent sub.

I'm Paul.

alright lads,

I've never done any mods in my life, but this thread has got me interested in changing the op amps on my 7510. Is it literally pull out old amps and plug in new ones, and if so, how many will I need to get? Any picture guides knocking around? - bear in mind I have all the technical know-how of paris hilton, or that bird in flashdance!

kbuech,

I'm not surprised regarding USB upgrade. when I recently upgraded my Mac the change from USB 1 to 2 bought huge rewards.

I'm Neal.

Unfortunately no. The 7510 opamp is surface mount and needs a good eye and steady hands with a soldering iron to replace it...

I'm Tyrone.

Don't bother unsoldering the opamp, the easiest way is to use a stanley knife. Press against each leg one at a time with the tip of the blade and the knife will cut straight through it, you dont need to use alot of pressure and it will beat the frustration of trying to remove it using the iron alone.

When it comes to soldering the new opamp in place give the following video a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qYG95bbz8

If you have the chance practice on an old unwanted circuit board to get comfortable.

If using solder feels too tricky, buy some solder paster and make light work of the job.
    Last edited by tizer2000uk; 23-03-2009 at 19:19.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 166 1231151101 ... LastLast