+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A cable thread for Rega system owners.

I'm Gary.

I'm content too...(ish)
    Will want to try the new Rega I/C but thats about it.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm tony.

really interesting thread, Brian had mentioned his thoughts about silver plugs when you guys brought the rega kit over. changed over the silver mains plugs on my power leads back to brass just for fun......quite different sound! synergy at play-very probably.
    you get to know your own set up to the point that a ten quid mains plug shifts the sound noticeably. strange hobby this,great fun playing about with man stuff.
    good to hear the rega boys are pulling resources and enjoying the music more....

I'm Martin.

Hi,

Great thread for Rega-holics!

Many thanks to Brian, who gave me a nudge to get my cables sorted..

Just ordered up the Klotz cable and Neutrik Profi connectors to make myself a Couple Clone - should be interesting to compare them with my MG1500 HDs. Total inc P+P was £34 ish.

Any recommendations for digital coax cables?

Not sure if a change from my Belkin speaker cable to the Rega FSC would be worth it. What do you reckon?
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Just to add that the Klotz AC110 is an excellent double screened coax cable, dearer than the Van Damme equivalents (actually quite expensive compared to that which Chord and others use for their basic wires), it's very low capacitance (70pF/m) and has a refined and Top End style of presentation, making most cheap interconnects sounding scrappy with treble "hash," to put it bluntly. I cannot in the slightest prove it, but I do feel that this cable got better with some use, livening up a little, in the same way I felt that my MG HD1500 interconnects tamed a little with use - probably bunkum, but that's how I feel

The reason for mentioning this is because Rega "voiced" their line source products using these cables and IMO it makes sense to use them for now, in the same way that the classic Arcam CD players from twenty years or so ago (Alpha 5 - 9etc) were finalised using Audioquest interconnects, which they imported back then (we found the mid priced "Quartz" model suited them well).

I'm not saying you can't do better than a "Couple" style interconnect (AC110 with Neutrik Pro plugs), but since professional engineers rate this cable I'd give it serious consideration.

As for speaker cables, I wasn't a fan of the original Rega tape style cables (transparent with a green text and stripe from memory) and don't know the current Quattro well at all, but my choice when I sold Rega was the Cable talk 4.1 (not the 3.1) and related Excel 4, which I now use myself and also the green hosepipe Concert 2.1. The Excel 4 lives on in customised form as the current Talk (Electronics) 3 cable for £4 per metre and again, this works well.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    Martin I have a Mike Homar WBT cu coax cable going spare at the moment. I bought the same item off Marco with WBT ag plugs and use that now. PM me if you are interested.
    Bernie.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    Hi,

Great thread for Rega-holics!

Many thanks to Brian, who gave me a nudge to get my cables sorted..

Just ordered up the Klotz cable and Neutrik Profi connectors to make myself a Couple Clone - should be interesting to compare them with my MG1500 HDs. Total inc P+P was £34 ish.

Not sure if a change from my Belkin speaker cable to the Rega FSC would be worth it. What do you reckon?
    Hi Martin,

I have it on good authority that the klotz ac110 also makes a very good digi coax. I intend to make some up myself for that purpose. As for how the quattro compares to the Belkins I say go for it. Its a ruddy good cable for much cheapness and I rate it highly having tried a few others. Some say the belkin is flat sounding. I am currently using their silver series Rca for coax though as my monster cables were too lively n bright.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Martin I have a Mike Homar WBT cu coax cable going spare at the moment. I bought the same item off Marco with WBT ag plugs and use that now. PM me if you are interested.
    Yes, I saw that you got that cable - was kicking myself that I missed it.

PM sent,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Martin.

Just received the Klotz cable - no sign of the RCAs though

If I decide to use some klotz cable for the digital interconnect, is there a min length and do I need some special connectors?

Thanks for the PM Bernie, still mulling it over ATM.

cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Nobody.

I used to make all my Synthesizer Jack leads up with Klotz, they has a loverly soft & flexible coating to the main jacket that cuts really easy, is your wire like this?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    I used to make all my Synthesizer Jack leads up with Klotz, they has a loverly soft & flexible coating to the main jacket that cuts really easy, is your wire like this?
    It looks like nice quality stuff, although I wouldn't say it was particularly soft or flexible. Certainly less flexible than my VanDamme cables.
    Martin

My system photos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast