+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Thorens decks

I'm Julian.

Default Modern Thorens decks

Just wondering why we never hear of any recent Thorens decks on this forum - it's always the vintage stuff. I've certainly never read about anyone buying one ...

In what way are the new decks sub-standard, if they are?
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Just wondering why we never hear of any recent Thorens decks on this forum - it's always the vintage stuff. I've certainly never read about anyone buying one ...

In what way are the new decks sub-standard, if they are?
    Possibly because they are horribly 'value engineered' with much use of plastic and cost cutting.
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

.............and yet strangely high priced!

I'm Dave.

'Bout sums it up.

I'm Julian.

Had a look at their website - there seems to be four models with wooden plinths.

Anyway, Rega use a lot of plastics and acrylics don't they?

I'm not rushing out to buy one, just interested ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Adam.

The TD2030 and the TD350 are very nice indeed and the TD550 is one of the finest all-round decks I've heard.

Interesting that the TD160HD appears to have vanished from the range, which was a TD160 re-issue with an acrylic platter, cork mat and loads of RDC bits dotted about inside, under and around it. Frankly, I thought it sounded better when you removed most of these!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

So which model was the nasty plastic one then? Years ago I walked a couple of miles to check out a Thorens that was advertised in the local paper - no model number specified but I was hoping for a 124 or 160 - got there and the bloke is quite obviously moving house - TT was boxed and he opened it up it was a nasty blue plastic and not the vintage wooden plinth job I was expecting so I said I wasn't interested and he got really pissed off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Carl.

That TD550 is an object of desire! Pricey though.

I'm John.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Dual used to make a lightweight and simple non suspended fully auto deck (CS455?) with little DC motor, lightweight plinth and selling for around a ton. It sounded soft toned and utterly safe - ideal for the low cost elderly systems we sold it for. There's a Thorens which looks like a gloss finished version of it, yet the price has gone up to stupid levels.

In an interview, a chappie at Thorens was asked why the huge range and the answer was mainly to do with market requirements I remember, simply because some people don't put absolute sonics forst, preferring instead to have a flashy looking status symbol to show off to friends..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast