+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR The Legend/The Turntable

I'm Stephen.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ecessity.90606

http://vinylnirvana.com started off quite a modest site, but has developed over the years. http://soundofthewood.com looks interesting the quick look I had of it. Both are mentioned in the Steve Hoffman link
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (21.7 KB, 17 views)
    Last edited by Mr Kipling; 27-01-2013 at 09:58.

I'm george.

Love the AR....this is my legend with a Linn LVX and K9 cart....Ive actually now stopped using a mat since I found using another LP as a mat[IMG][/IMG] makes her sound even better!!!
    Last edited by seoirse2002; 27-01-2013 at 01:13. Reason: typo

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I was going to mention it, but looks like you are already on the trail of the A60 on PFM!

It looks absolutely stunning ... I've not heard one for 30 years but cannot see how you could go wrong for just 150 notes. And while you are at it I'd pick up the matching tuner - I had one of these until quite recently - lovely warm tone ...

Keep us posted!
    Hi Jules, first of all thanks to you and every one else for the advice in this thread.

I've bought the amp on Pinkfish however the seller has offered me a slightly later amp that he has for which he has an optional plug in MC phono card which seems perfect for having the option to use which ever cart I end up going for but I'm a bit unsure now which one to go for, what do you think, any advice in this regard?

Regarding the tuner, yes I have considered buying it but I have the partner tuner for the Sony amp, an ST-A6B and it is a fantastic tuner in great condition which has been re-capped recently but it could easily be sold along with the amp.

Tony

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-ST-A6B.html

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Yes the Mayware adaptors are still available..it will drive them ok i used an 'A60' for years with Heybrook 'HB1' speeerz which are around 89/90db..

If you want to source a later 'A60' they had RCA for turntable duties, Din's for the rest.. but like i say i prefer the construction of the earlier models..
    Thanks André, the seller of the amp is going to include one of those with the amp but obviously I'll need some more for the tuner and the CDP but they're not expensive, thankfully

Tony

I'm Julian.

Great news Tony.

Me personally I would buy the earlier amp for sure. Before having a play with MC carts I would choose a really good MM cart and also get a new amp. When the time comes you'll be much better off buying a good SUT to work with the MM input instead of using an internal MC stage. Just my opinion of course!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Great news Tony.

Me personally I would buy the earlier amp for sure. Before having a play with MC carts I would choose a really good MM cart and also get a new amp. When the time comes you'll be much better off buying a good SUT to work with the MM input instead of using an internal MC stage. Just my opinion of course!
    Thanks Jules, I'm going to take your advice mate

Now, regarding good MM carts, anyone have any opinion's thoughts?

Thanks

Tony

I'm Geoff.

Hope I'm not being rude about anyone's amplifier, but I've owned a couple of A&R Cambridge A60 integrateds and not been impressed.

I found them much in the same mould as the NAD 3020, inoffensive maybe, but a bit two dimensional and bland, they were over-hyped, maybe because they were a safe recommendation for the magazines back then.

There are better options (like Andre's Ferrograph F307 for instance). A nice seventies Rotel RA-611 would be a far better sounding choice or maybe a Denon PMA-250SE? An original Cambridge P50 is a classic British integrated and still sounds remarkably good even now, in a different league to the A60.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hope I'm not being rude about anyone's amplifier, but I've owned a couple of A&R Cambridge A60 integrateds and not been impressed.

I found them much in the same mould as the NAD 3020, inoffensive maybe, but a bit two dimensional and bland, they were over-hyped, maybe because they were a safe recommendation for the magazines back then.

There are better options (like Andre's Ferrograph F307 for instance). A nice seventies Rotel RA-611 would be a far better sounding choice or maybe a Denon PMA-250SE? An original Cambridge P50 is a classic British integrated and still sounds remarkably good even now, in a different league to the A60.
    Hi Geoff, all comments are welcome mate.

I'll try the amp out but if it doesn't suit me I'll just sell it on

Thanks

Tony

I'm Julian.

My memory of the A60 is that its presentation was definitely on the "polite" side but still a quality performer IMO ...

At the end of the day I think it will boil down to system matching as usual. The Proacs are fairly lively performers I believe. I reckon with a careful choice of cart you'll get a good result.

Geoff - do you think one of those ADC carts could be a good bet for Tony?

I loved all my Nagaoka MM carts but don't think I would recommend one to go with the A60 - you might want something with a bit more "zip" ...

Will have a think ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm tommy.

hi tony , glad you are enjoying her , yes chaps most definately , a legend and not the earlier "turntable" and yes oiil / belt all new , no pay in the bearing etc , yes the AT arm is a bit "light" but can have a grub screw added (rear of arm 4mm threaded) to balance things out for heavier carts , cable is plug in /repacable , (it has a linn cable fitted , they are hugely upgradeable , but my megre funds did not allow but as i have an original "turntable" this is where i am going when funds allow , carts tony , mm grado , or goldring 1042 , i knew the cheap AT was a bit bright , but from what i've heard the goldring should fit the bill nicely .
    getting older and now getting wiser

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast