+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thorens specific group please ?

I'm Graham.

Default Thorens specific group please ?

I am in the process of renovating my Thorens TD160

Is there any way we could have a Thorens specific group so that everyting Thorens can be found in one group please ?

Cheers

Graham

synsei Guest

We are struggling to get a belt drive sub-forum implemented Graham so a Thorens specific one is probably out of the question

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I started an essay here for TD160 setup and thought better of it. if you'd like me to prepare a setup guide from my experiences with hundreds of these things, I'd be happy to submit one for assessment for the library and comments from others..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Graham.

Default Thanks DSR

Cheers for that offer. I,d love to read the stuff you have prepared on the TD160 optimisation
    I have the SME 3009 II Imp too

Shame we can't have a Thorens group, it saves a lot of time searching

Thanks again

Graham
    Last edited by candg.wales; 26-01-2013 at 22:39. Reason: Error

I'm Nobody.

You need the Analog dept web site for your Thorens requirement

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by candg.wales View Post
    Cheers for that offer. I,d love to read the stuff you have prepared on the TD160 optimisation
    I have the SME 3009 II Imp too

Shame we can't have a Thorens group, it saves a lot of time searching

Thanks again

Graham
    Set the suspension up properly.

Clean and re-oil the bearing.

Buy a new belt.

Rewire your tonearm.

Play music and enjoy.

That's pretty much all you need to do.
    Mark

I'm Geoff.

Agreed, Thorens are generally easy to set up. Why a separate group? Most questions can be answered quickly. I reckon nearly everybody on AOS has had a TD something or other at some time.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Forgot to mention getting a better mat (Blue Horizon or summat) and a record clamp (Michell) will make big improvements too.

And if you really want to go mad then build or buy a power supply for it.
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You don't need to spend stupid money on a Blue Horizon, Funk or Loricraft mat, since decent cork ones are available for twenty quid or less (I use several that are now available on fleabay for under a tenner).......

The suspension isn't that easy to get right without a little fore-knoeledge. There are cam-washers under each spring and if these are disturbed when levelling the sub-chassis, thay can take a while to get right if you've not done them before. Fortunately, Thorens put a couple of holes on the sub chassis and top plate that when viewed down through the "keyholes" in the top platter to help with centring and alignment. Cable dressing and clamping needs some thought too, and it's disappointing that all the new gorgeous looking replacement plinths out there don't have provision for this, unlike the originals.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Graham.

Default Cable dressing ?

Great feedback guys

In the process of priming the original Thorens plinth for painting

I have an off cut of granite here from my kitchen which I am thinking of getting cut for a replacement baseboard rather than a wooden one

I am about to order the cleaning / oil kit from Jo in Germany

I am struggling to justify a really expensive cartridge / stylus replacement so far
    and wondering whether to stick wit the M75ED with new stylus or go for new cartridge. I also have an old Audio Technica cartridge and stylus from about 8 years ago but I have no way of identifying which one it is.

I am thinking about a cork mat too but still polishing the platter at the moment

Just reading around on here for best way to restore the cover too

Some of my 40 year old vinyl has sadly warped so I am wondering about a record clamp or weight to help wit this. Any thoughts on the max weight this should be on a Thorens TD10BII ?

Best way to polish the SME 3009 arm tube anyone ? It has some minor scuffs on it

What do you mean by cable dressing ?

Many thanks

Graham

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast