+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apogee Duet output level

I'm Derek.

Default Apogee Duet output level

Hello again!

Forgive the basic question but if I am to use the Apogee Duet with a MacBook, I can feed this directly into my tube hi-fi amplifier.

Now, my real question is with regards to the output voltage level of the Duet and the "volume" control on it. If I use the Duet's volume control, is this going to compromise the quality that I am feeding into my 300B S.E.T. amplifier - I believe that digital volume controls do compromise the sound quality - is this in the digital domain?
    The Duet has two unbalanced outputs at -10dbV, so does this mean that it has an output of 0.32v,

As you may gather, my knowledge of things digital is very limited and this is my first venture into using a computer music server, so please bear with the novice questions!!

I am about to go for the Duet, unless you can tell me of a better alternative. Are there any members out there that is using a similar set up of the macbook, duet feeding their audiophile system?

Thanks for any answers!

DerrO

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Mine is kind of similar.

I have an iMac running AIFF files and use via Toslink the Apogee Mini DAC which goes straight into my power amp, so far I've not noticed any quality issues with the volume control built into the DAC (although it is an analogue control on the Mini). I have connected the DAC to my passive pre-amp and set the output at 'fixed' but the sound was indifferent.

However, seeing as the Duet is a digital volume control then it may have qualitative issues, but until you do a direct comparison you won't know for sure. Saying that on my Mini I tend to set the gain at a certain level and use the volume control on iTunes as I can then control it from my sofa (wireless keyboard - world's most comprehensive remote ), again I haven't noticed any quality problems although the sound does become more open once a certain level is reached, having said that it could simply be the minimum level where my system gets into its stride. It was much the same when using a CD player and the passive to be honest.

If you want you're quite welcome to borrow my passive pre and try it, but you may have impedance mismatching issues, not a problem in itself, but it can limit the top end frequencies.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Derek.

Default Rob, why Toslink?

Thanks Rob for that... and how very kind of you to offer the loan of your pre.... but i am nowhere near you!

Just wondering why you are using Toslink and not USB or Firewire to connect to the Mini DAC?

Thanks

Derro

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    Thanks Rob for that... and how very kind of you to offer the loan of your pre.... but i am nowhere near you!

Just wondering why you are using Toslink and not USB or Firewire to connect to the Mini DAC?

Thanks

Derro
    I can pop it in the post, whereabouts are you?

I'm using Toslink because the Firewire drivers are not yet available for Leopard. Saying that there's no advantage with using either over any. In fact using Toslink completely eliminates any electrical interference passing from the computer to the DAC as the only signal is light. It was initially a temporary move whilst Apogee sorted out the drivers, but the technical chap I spoke to at Apogee said there would be no sonic difference between the inputs.

However, when the drivers become available I will try them, because you know how trying things yields unexpected results.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Derek.

Default Rob - appreciate that!

Thank you very much for offering to post me your Pre for trial..... very kind, but I am OK on the pre amp front.

I understand about the use of the Toslink - I was actually wondering if the Duet did indeed support Leopard and seems that presently it does not. Another little piece of information clarified!

Thanks,

Derro

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Keep an eye on this page, they're bringing out updates fairly regularly and the tech guys are very helpful.

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread