+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bardo

I'm andy.

Default Bardo

Anyone heard the Brinkmann Bardo?, it's been lurking on the back of my mind for a wee while,
    considering how much the SP10 mk3 fetches now and what it takes to bring the 1210 to listenable levels,
    thinking a 2nd hand or ex-demo Bardo would be way to go if you want to go ultimate DD route,
    so views someone who has heard it much appreciated.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm John.

Hi Andy,

A good friend of mine bought it a few months ago; complete package with the 9.6 tonearm and cartridge (I believe it's called the Pi ?) - running through Nagra amplification.
    Simply put, I think it's one of the best decks I've ever heard in my life. Uber quiet, outstanding across the board and in every respect and revoltingly musical to boot. It was so phenomenally good it sucked. Badly.
    Can't make a comparison with your current rig - but I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed. It's one of those decks that makes the argument "would a significant outlay in money result in an equal or greater improvement in sound" rather moot. It will.
    Bottom line, if you can find one at a good price go for it. Don't think twice.

I'm Mika.

Have heard it few times at the demos of one familiar dealer here in Finland. Some years ago that replaced the previous demo deck he used SME 20 and he has been extremely happy. And have to echo previous comment that the sound is also remarkable. Somehow there is same DD-magic present than with SP10 but with a modern twist. If you only have a change to audit one go for it.
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm andy.

John ~ Thanks for that, seemingly the arm is based on a Breuer, seem for me the best route as prices for some of those Jap Uber decks are getting silly, been scouring German Ebay and classifieds but no joy so far, i will have to sell big time and pool together the funds, if i buy it will be as a package with the Brinkmann arm.

Mika ~ Thanks for the endorsement also, i do want one and got to have it sooner or later.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Jostein.

With the Rønt II tube power supply for the Bardo this deck should be rocking:

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.p...=roent&lang=en
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm andy.

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    With the Rønt II tube power supply for the Bardo this deck should be rocking:

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.p...=roent&lang=en
    is that a sexy PSU or what, didn't know anything about it, thanks Jost.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Paul.

I would think a used one will be a rarity. Not common and probably a keeper if you can afford the asking price. That PS looks interesting,

I'm andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    I would think a used one will be a rarity. Not common and probably a keeper if you can afford the asking price. That PS looks interesting,
    Your are right Paul, been quietly keeping tabs on the off chance one comes up within range,
    there's probably dozens like me waiting to pounce when one does show up, i mentioned keeping tabs on the German market,
    it's worthwhile keeping a keen eye on eastern european countries like Slovenia etc..where prices might just dip a bit more.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    tube power supply
    A tube power supply to deliver 25V DC...
    Euhm... Great...
    Gentlemen, this is the 21st century, let sand devices do what they're good at.
    There's no place for tubes in low voltage regulators.
    (never was, never will be)
    Technics SL-1200 Mk2 recapped / MN bearing / Funk Firm Platter / Denon 103R / Lundahl LL1933
    Thorens TD 126 MkIII / SME Series III / Ortofon SME 30H // AT-OC9ML/II / Lundahl LL1681
    Thorens TD 160 / TP16 / Stanton 681SE

I'm Guy.

Needs Tungar bulbs really, as are popular for running old field coil drivers such as Western Electric!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast