+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help Needed - Mac Digital Output

I'm John.

Default Help Needed - Mac Digital Output

Hi, I'm trying to feed my MacBook digital output via Toslink through DAC to amp...whilst this works for my Squeezebox I can't get it to work on the Mac.....

I'm using a mini-jack to Toslink converter, then a Toslink cable, and there's a red light at the end of the cable when it's connected to the Mac.

My suspicion is that digital-output is not properly set up in "audio midi set up" utility as I can't change the volume sliders which are all set to Value zero and dB zero.

Any advice....I'm using 10.6.8 on the mac.

Apologies if this is a bit basic, but I'm not digitally competent

Cheers all

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm andrew.

In Audio Midi does the output source show up as digital out if yes then go to the left hand pane and select built in output make sure it has a small loudspeaker icon next to it, if it does not then go to the bottom of the page click on the small cog icon and select use this device for sound output.
    Andy.

I'm John.

Thanks for the tip Andy....unfortunately the small speaker icon is there ( there's another icon next to it that looks like two faces).....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm Buffet-blower.

John - sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but you'll also need to go into System Preferences and then Sound to select the device for sound output.

I had the exact same issue as you when I first started using my MacBook for audio duties - did the Audio Midi Set-up but forgot about the selection in Sound.

Hope that'll work for you.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm John.

Thanks for the advice all.....in the end I sorted it by squirting compressed air into the mini-jack hole....simplest solutions are often the best

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    John - sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but you'll also need to go into System Preferences and then Sound to select the device for sound output.

I had the exact same issue as you when I first started using my MacBook for audio duties - did the Audio Midi Set-up but forgot about the selection in Sound.

Hope that'll work for you.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    Thanks for the advice all.....in the end I sorted it by squirting compressed air into the mini-jack hole....simplest solutions are often the best
    Ah! it's a sticky relay, it happened to me a few weeks ago, sometimes just inserting the headphone plug in and out a few times will cure it but if it persists then it's a trip to the old Apple shop for repair.
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread