+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What SACD Player

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Disbeliever View Post
    I found sound quality on the obese Marantz SA7-S1 to be very poor despite rave reviews and sold mine to a guy who also sold it I month later. Easily the best player is the Sony XA5400ES but preferably via HDMI into the Sony DA5400ES AV receiver HATS for low jitter. HFN Sound Quality rating 85%
    Unfortunately the XA5400ES was discontinued by Sony after a very short time in Europe. The receiver has rared it's head again and rumours abound that the XA5400ES may be coming back. If you want new and can't afford 'Esoteric' prices Marantz may be the only choice at present. I would advise looking at the Steve Hoffman Forum for feedback on the said Sony and the quality of alternatives. BTW I thought the Sony lacked HDMI ? The positive reviews I have seen (in Stereo) have been using the on-board SACD converters.

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Nothing wrong with a well tweeked Marantz SACD!!!

They will punch far above the price with some careful modification

Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Rob.

Sony DVP-S9000ES

Sony DVP-S9000ES by RSdesignUK, on Flickr
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Steven.

If you can stretch to it, ANY Accuphase SACD player will not disappoint, especially if you still want it to work after playing 1000's of discs.

Don't be put off by the inetrnet generated myth that there is an 'Accuphase sound' either. They are some of the most neutral and accurate disc players ever made.

If you have a spare minute, check out this review of an Accuphase DP-85: http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/668/

Steve
    "Jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the ways of appealing to people if you're trying to organize a mass base of support for policies that are really intended to crush them".
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Benchmark LA4 pre-amplifier and AHB2 power amplifier
    Sony CDP-X707ES CD player
    Sony CDP-X505ES CD player
    Topping D90SE DAC
    Sony DVP-NS900V used as a transport only
    Technics SLPG-590 CD player used as a transport only
    Marantz CD6000SE CD player used as a transport only
    Revel Performa3 M105 speakers and matching stands
    Massdrop thxaaa 789 headphone amplifier
    Audeze LCD-XC (2021 Revision) Headphones
    Connecty things: Chord, Accuphase, QED, AoS 'Barry Special', silly cheap Chinese USB cable (AMAZING value hifi product)

I'm Peter.

This:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCS-VERDI-...item3ce1edebd4

Superb quality throughout, as with all DCS stuff IMO.

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    This:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCS-VERDI-...item3ce1edebd4

Superb quality throughout, as with all DCS stuff IMO.

P
    That listing though is only for the transport, so you would need to buy the DAC and potentially the clock as well.

Regards Neil

I'm Clive.

Andre, I thought the Cambridge BD was a rebadged Oppo BD with different audio boards, which in my experience (I've owned a number of Marantz CD/SACD players) are difficult to better without spending rude amounts of money.
    If you can get your hands on one of the early Sony SACD players then that may be a good alternative.

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    That listing though is only for the transport, so you would need to buy the DAC and potentially the clock as well.

Regards Neil
    Neil,

Indeed. Emporium is selling all three. Even totting up that lot still gives a superb SACD experience for relatively speaking not very much in comparison to performance level.

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Simon.

2 Years or so on, what is the current 2 channel SACD player recommendation at approximately the £4-500 level?

May consider S/H but reliability is just as important as sound quality.

A bit above my price level at the moment, but how good is the Marantz SA-8005?

Another on on my mind is the Marantz UD7007

How does the UD7007 compare to the SA-8005 on SACD?
    Last edited by darkmatter; 12-12-2016 at 13:34. Reason: Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123