+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What SACD Player

I'm Andrei.

Default What SACD Player

My investment in Hi-res digital downloads make CD quality barely satisfactory. But to get enough music I find that purchasing SACDs is a decent option. Up to now I have been using a Cambridge Audio 650 BD but I am looking to upgrade.

What I am looking for is a high quality two channel SACD player.

Factors:
    (1) multi channel is irrelevant;
    (2) price is not important - if I can't afford it I will wait till I can;
    (3) Universal players: not needed as I can keep the Cambridge as it plays 'everything';
    (4) Extra features are not important;
    (5) Quality of CD replay is irrelevant as my CDs are all ripped to Hard Disk.

I am inclined to look at something in the Marantz line, or possibly the Oppo 105. But really I have an open mind. What I am hoping is that the collective wisdom of the Artists of Sound can give me;

• Strong advice about a comparison
    • How you assess your own SACD player
    • A thread or website you have found useful

Many tanks (the scuba divers word for 'thanks') in advance
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm ILOB.

I heard Martin T Ayre and that was very good but sounded even better in DVDA The early Sony models are highly rated
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I heard Martin T Ayre and that was very good but sounded even better in DVDA The early Sony models are highly rated
    Thanks John, and oh by the way, I would love to have a threesome with your two fat ladies.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm ILOB.

Lol
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    My investment in Hi-res digital downloads make CD quality barely satisfactory. But to get enough music I find that purchasing SACDs is a decent option. Up to now I have been using a Cambridge Audio 650 BD but I am looking to upgrade.

What I am looking for is a high quality two channel SACD player.

Factors:
    (1) multi channel is irrelevant;
    (2) price is not important - if I can't afford it I will wait till I can;
    (3) Universal players: not needed as I can keep the Cambridge as it plays 'everything';
    (4) Extra features are not important;
    (5) Quality of CD replay is irrelevant as my CDs are all ripped to Hard Disk.

I am inclined to look at something in the Marantz line, or possibly the Oppo 105. But really I have an open mind. What I am hoping is that the collective wisdom of the Artists of Sound can give me;

• Strong advice about a comparison
    • How you assess your own SACD player
    • A thread or website you have found useful

Many tanks (the scuba divers word for 'thanks') in advance
    I've heard a Marantz one forgot the model but it retails at 2k and has an inbuilt Dac input, must admit it sounded lovely
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Lee.

It's the SA-152 L SE
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Don't forget the substantial noise above 20kHz generated by ALL SA-CD players. Some amps don't like it much, let alone metal dome tweeters.......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Don't forget the substantial noise above 20kHz generated by ALL SA-CD players. Some amps don't like it much, let alone metal dome tweeters.......
    I didn't know that. I have played SACDs over Paradigm Studio 60s and my current Triangle Cellos, but havent heard any noise - but then again, maybe that proves that age and hearing are not a match made in heaven.

I'm Mike.

I can definently vouch for the Marantz SA-15 as mentioned earlier.
    I had a previous model, the S1, which is still very good sounding when using SACD material. They're cheap as chips here in Sweden and beautifully built too. Bought mine for about £350...

Sold it after a couple of years, as the CD-layer sounds better played back as files than the SACD-layer via the SA-15. At least in my setup...

Best of luck to ya!
    /Mike

I'm Bernard.

Another option would be to have a listen to the Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC , see if it is as good as your Wyred4sound DAC 2 , and if so it would read DSD files ( ripped from SACD or downloaded ) from your PC .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast