+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twelvebears' pride & joy

I'm Neil.

I CAN SEE.....I CAN SEEEEEEEE !!!!!

Weird very weird, despite doing what Marco suggested still no speakers but now, after logging on this afternoon, they are indeed here and very nice too. Sort of like across between Avalon, Peak Consult and Quadral. Not sure about white though....ummm

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Nathan.

Hi Steve,

You have yet to tell us how they sound. I'd love to build a set of speakers myself. I just have to save the money for the kit, as I think that is the way to go!

I'm Steve.

Hi Neil.

I debated long and hard about the colour. My initial instinct was the obvious gloss piano black but then though it would be like having two of the obelisks from 2001 at the end of the room, then I considered in-your-face Ferrari red, but eventually settled on white and I'm really pleased with it.

When it's against a white or near white wall, the cabs nearly disappear and leave the drivers floating.

Anyway, the sound, great sound stage - both width and depth, especially listening to vinyl. Smooth yet detailed treble, but where they really shine in in the mid and bass.

Volt mid-bass drivers are used by REL, PMC and at the Royal Opera House and I rate them every bit as highly as ATC. They have a 3" voice coil, so the dust-cap is basically a 3" dome mid-range and vocals are superb, which seems weird because you wouldn't expect it from a 10" driver. In fact the main driver is so good in the upper-mid that it means the x-overs can be very simple with a really gentle roll-off.

But as good as the mid is, it's the bass that is the real killer, it's just effortlessly deep. I've never heard them get flustered and I've never felt the slightest need for a subwoofer.

I estimate that in total they have cost me about £1200, which includes about £700 of drivers, components and internal wiring, and the only speakers I've heard which I'd swap them for would be a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas (which I owned, bought 2nd hand but sold in a time of financial need), or a pair of big ATC SMC50s which would be about 4 times the price.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Neil.

Hi Steve

Having looked at your photos again I can see that my first reaction is wrong...for your environment the white works well, and thus was the right call. They sound very interesting via your description of the sound. Its amazing what can be achieved when you know how.

Regards D S D L---Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

Lovelly looking speakers and sounds like you got yourself a real bargin as well
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Steve.

Very nice job there, most (ie. me) never finish the speakers properly...
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12