+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really blinkin' loud

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    I use a set of 10dB Goldenjacks between my Busmaster and the input of the Croft pre. Used them for ages and they are great for reducing sensitivity to volume control (gain). I preferred these to the Rothwell variant.
    Yeah the -14db ones I used were Goldenjacks ones and they were much better than the other type which I also owned at the time as they were only -10db and that was nowhere near enough for the Croft.

I'm Bernie.

I'll have to check. Maybe they are 14dB. All I know is they were the standard value and not a special order.
    Bernie.

I'm fuckoff.

I demoed some Rothwells (-10db) and just couldn't justify the cost. Tbh I was only worried that having two mis-matched components could be damaging one or the other.

As I mentioned, since turning off the pre amp section in my M-dac and just using the analogue volume on the amp, the sound seems a lot more engaging, so as long as nothing bads happening I'm happy to leave it like this for now. Plus the amp has a -20db mode on it.

I'm Christian.

I had excess gain with a croft and attenuators worked a treat, even better audio flair reduced the gain for me but the principle is the same but without compromise.

+1 on Goldenjacks over Rothwell, essentially the same product at half the price with none of that 'hi-fi jewery' crap to justify overpriced rothwells. Iain fromGoldenjacks is also a pleasure to deal with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12