+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: My First "Techie" - well part of it!

I'm ChrisB.

I searched ebay for 'ferrite ring' - plenty to choose from.

I'm Jamie.

Hi Ken - that's quite incredible.

When I saw Inspire Hifi charge £4k for their Monarch I wondered how hard it could be to put everything into a different plinth

And the answer is very, by the looks of it

Would you offer something like this a service in future? Maybe not to the same spec - but taking the 1210 and rehousing it in general?

Would be very interested at some point
    Last edited by jamington2004; 03-11-2014 at 18:51.

I'm Ken.

Sorry I only do it as a hobby, I have to make everything in my kitchen, so as you can imagine a bit restricting.

Have a look at my second and third Techies, third one is by far the best sounding.

If you can't find them on AoS as they have slipped well down the list of threads, just go to my website and see them there.

It is shown in my signature.

Regards

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jamington2004 View Post

When I saw Inspire Hifi charge £4k for their Monarch I wondered how hard it could be to put everything into a different plinth

Would you offer something like this a service in future? Maybe not to the same spec - but taking the 1210 and rehousing it in general?

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamington2004 View Post

Jamie l am way ahead of you- l asked Ken the same thing and got the same reply! His work is amazing and would certainly warrant a future commercial venture............
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Sorry I only do it as a hobby, I have to make everything in my kitchen, so as you can imagine a bit restricting.

Have a look at my second and third Techies, third one is by far the best sounding.

If you can't find them on AoS as they have slipped well down the list of threads, just go to my website and see them there.

It is shown in my signature.

Regards

Ken
    No worries I did assume as much

At least the fact you shared your process would allow me to find a craftsman and find out how much something similar would cost

Now to find someone who can work with electronics and wood and concrete!!!

I have my first mission coming up which involves soldering 2 wires together! (Just to illustrate why I am in awe of your work )

Cheers
    Jamie

I'm Ken.

Hi Jamie

Check out my 3rd Techie, it has a plywood plinth and sounds better than the concrete one.

You dont have to use the bearing/platter combo that I adapted on the 3rd project, you could use stock parts.

Take note that Inspire hifi will sell you just a modified platter on a reconditioning basis where you supply the part for them to work on, it reduces the price considerably. Give them a ring. They can remove the strobe marks and they add an extra slab of alli on the underside to increase mass and reduce ringing. There is a picture of one on one of my threads, if my memory isn't playing tricks.

Three years ago I had never even tried to solder so stick at it.

I'm Jamie.

Great will check it out thanks!

I am actually cheating and buying Darren's deck which has a modified bearing and platter and external PSU already

I know about the inspire platter mod - I actually sold Francois the one he sent you a pic of

I have a couple of 1210s before - but nothing like the one I am waiting to pick up as I type - so maybe I will follow your projects to rehouse it

I feel like I need a hobby - I spend too much time scrolling on my iphone at home

I'm Ken.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516