+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum IA70 integrated amplifier.

I'm Jerry.

Default Magnum IA70 integrated amplifier.

Hi all

Anyone had any experience of the 'Magnum' Ia70 audio amp?

The manufacturer is now out of business, but most of these amps seem were sold in the 'States'. There's quite a bit of info on the amp's history, but the circuit diagram proves elusive

The amp uses Texas output transistors, fibre-glass pcb's and is built to a very high standard. Has any one got access to a circuit diagram, as one output stage has failed? It would be great to get this one going again, Most of the parts are still listed on RS's site.

Thanks for any help or advice given.

samjamnn.

I'm ChrisB.

No personal experience, but the man who made them is a member here.

I'm Jerry.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, perhaps the chap who built them might see the thread!

Regards. SJM.

I'm ChrisB.

Yoohoo............Colin?!

I'm tommy.

thats handy to know i run an mf 250 power amp , very nice she is too
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    No personal experience, but the man who made them is a member here.
    getting older and now getting wiser

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Yoohoo............Colin?!
    OK you called, sorry got stuck with a large amp and good music and just could not drag myself away.

IA170 started as a Oberon Amp Quickie has one of these, the original design was fitted with a MOS FET power stage.You say you have TI parts in the output can you read the numbers please. This could be a BK Electronics mod has the MOS FET's became rare, Tony changed the design to save money.

Best Col

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tam View Post
    thats handy to know i run an mf 250 power amp , very nice she is too
    The MF250 and the Mono A100 were my favorite Magnum Amps, the A100 were 400W/8R and are just amazing .
    Martin Column and Celestion had a pair of the A100's. Read some of the speaker test books M.C.did and I recall the first pair of SL600 were killed because a over confident Celestion engineer turned the volume high at a debut show full with reviewers.

What year is the MF250 does it use H-Pak FET's or TO3P type MOS FET's?

Best Col

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    The MF250 and the Mono A100 were my favorite Magnum Amps, the A100 were 400W/8R and are just amazing .
    Martin Column and Celestion had a pair of the A100's. Read some of the speaker test books M.C.did and I recall the first pair of SL600 were killed because a over confident Celestion engineer turned the volume high at a debut show full with reviewers.

What year is the MF250 does it use H-Pak FET's or TO3P type MOS FET's?

Best Col
    Old thread, but I think Wee Tam's MF250 used to be mine. From memory it had H-Pak fets. It fair belted music out of the speakers with real balls. Lacked a touch of refinement for me ultimately. I did a complete recap on that one and did some cap rolling to find a suitable sounding combination of caps in different positions.

I'm Steve.

Fab amps the Magnums. I really do think they showed many a Naim et al amps a clean set of heels. I must admit to being a little biased though. Rather like Bill beard with valves, Colin Wonfor just made some of the best solid state amps ever made.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    OK you called, sorry got stuck with a large amp and good music and just could not drag myself away.

IA170 started as a Oberon Amp Quickie has one of these, the original design was fitted with a MOS FET power stage.You say you have TI parts in the output can you read the numbers please. This could be a BK Electronics mod has the MOS FET's became rare, Tony changed the design to save money.

Best Col
    I've an Oberon of some kind I think - was there another name for it later on? I have something and then bought something else for a friend - one of them was an Oberon, the other I remember reading was some iteration of the Oberon with perhaps three leters and a number (but not IA170 I dont think).

Does Oberon mean "king of the fairies" in this instance as wikipedia says?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast