+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High output MC carts

I'm Josie.

Default High output MC carts

Hi all.

In the pursuit of trying more carts does anyone have any experience of the high output carts like Ortofons MC1 / 3 Turbo?

I'm liking the idea of these more and more... And could be a very good match for the TD124 for example.

The Current addition (Goldring G800) is a low compliance cart and so is ok but not best suited for the Thorens in that regards.

My Tone arm is the SME 3009 S2 none improved.

Also, they say that the tips of these High output MC carts are none repairable... is this (really) the case?

Cheers
    Joe
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Shaun.

Before I got my current Project RPM4 I used one of their introductory decks fitted with an Ortofon MC-1 Turbo and I have to say, I didn't like it at all. It was far too coarse for my liking with none of the finesse of my current OM-30 Super. I'm sorry I can't comment further but it was quite some time ago.

I'm Rob.

I have an Ortofon Vigor HOMC (basically a rebadged MC3 Turbo with a fine line stylus), it's quite light and fairly low compliance but works well in a Rega RB300, tracks like a champ and sounds dynamic and fun with a large sound stage. It doesn't quite have the detail, balance and insight of the Goldring Eroica LX LOMC, but has punch and sounds 'linear'.

I like it, must try it in the Techys arm actually.......

I ran it at Scalford in 2011 (I think) into an EAR834P and folks seemed to enjoy it alot.

Rob.

P.s I haven't heard the MC1 Turbo, but I don't think it's specs are good enough...

P.s.s I couldn't advise on the tip repair, never had one done.

I'm Mikkel.

Hi Joe,

I can share my limited experience, as the only HOMC I have owned was the Dynavector DV10X5.

And what an amazing little gem that is As an alternative to MM, for the price, itīs got my vote any day of the week.

It fits medium weight arms well, tracks superb and has a great balance with a good whack down low - just as I prefer.

http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/947/

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Riislingen View Post
    Hi Joe,

I can share my limited experience, as the only HOMC I have owned was the Dynavector DV10X5.

And what an amazing little gem that is As an alternative to MM, for the price, itīs got my vote any day of the week.

It fits medium weight arms well, tracks superb and has a great balance with a good whack down low - just as I prefer.

http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/947/
    Yeah, back in the day, I had an Ultimo 10X and it was a fabulous cartridge. I wonder how it has grown up...?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

In the pursuit of trying more carts does anyone have any experience of the high output carts like Ortofons MC1 / 3 Turbo?

Also, they say that the tips of these High output MC carts are none repairable... is this (really) the case?

Cheers
    Joe
    No, they can be replaced/re-tipped but probably not worth it because you could buy another for less.

You might also like to investigate the Sumiko Blue Point. A great little high o/p MC which works well in the SME.

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys, some great responses there.

I'll take a look in to those..

A bit thin on the ground are the Vigors and the DV10X5 though.. lol
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

Does the Denon DL-110 fall in to my arena?

I know... I know you guys have probably used one of these, it seems to be one of those carts that everyone has had but I've never tried one of these so be gentle.. lol

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Rob.

Never tried the DL110, never heard one either or the 160 rather bizarrely!

Yeah you won't find much on the Vigor, only probably posts by me.

I'm Rob.

Here's an old set up of mine (the one used at Scalford) with the red vigor installed!

Get a MC3 Turbo and you have the same thing basically.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast