+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: linux as the o/s in 2013

synsei Guest

AAAAAAAAARGH!!! Why is NOTHING in linux simple and intuitive??? All I want to do is install XBMC onto Mint (dunno which version and haven't a clue how to check) and apparently I need a degree in 'Gobbledegook' to do so...

Subsequently I have found a simple guide to install XBMC onto Mint and I have followed it to the letter and it still won't install. Click link ~ download ~ install ~ run, that is how easy it was on Windows and I had XBMC running in less than two minutes on Win7. Why is Linux better again?

I'm Mark.

if all you are planning on is running xbmc, forget mint

just use XBMCBuntu

you download it, burn the CD boot from it and follow the prompts to install

job done

I'm Jostein.

You also have SlaXBMC built on rock solid Slackware:

http://slaxbmc.blogspot.no/

Should contain everything you need.
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

synsei Guest

I was hoping to be able use the machine for browsing the internet too guys. Sod it, I'll hook the Windows HD back up again. Really, Linux isn't worth all this hassle and stress. I may come back to it if the geeks ever figure out that an OS actually needs to be usable by people other than themselves, but I doubt that will ever happen as they are far too busy trying to impress each other with the complexity of their coding skills

If one bought a car made by Linux it would arrive thus and without instructions on how to assemble it:

Last edited by synsei; 18-01-2013 at 19:04.

I'm Neal.

Brilliant! Unfortunately, I doubt Linux will ever succeed as a mass OS for the desktop, it has too many flaws, IMHO you are better off with Windows or a Mac.

---------------------------------
    Posted using Tapatalk
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I was hoping to be able use the machine for browsing the internet too guys. ..
    XBMCbuntu comes with a desktop (LXDE) with a browser (Chromium) pre-installed, so web browsing etc. won't be a problem.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

synsei Guest

What has frustrated me more than anything Keith is that I had XBMC downloaded, installed and working on my Windows drive in minutes and yet I have wasted over half a day on various unsuccessful attempts to try and get the damn thing onto the Linux drive. I wouldn't be so annoyed if Linux was a complete POS, but even I can see the potential in it, it's just that it's almost impossible to tap into. Every time I give Linux a go somet goes wrong, so forgive me if I politely decline yet another potential hair-pulling day

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    AAAAAAAAARGH!!! Why is NOTHING in linux simple and intuitive???
    It's not, if you expect it to work like Windows.

I see it more like this:

With one of these:

and once you get on top of it you get one of these:

Android phones are the proof that linux can be made completely useable (not helping you here I know but...) Realistically, how much time to you have invested in knowing how to tweak and use windows (and I'm not just talking about how to press a 'button' or move a 'slider') I'd wager that it's significantly more than an afternoon. They are just tools at the end of the day, use the ones that work for you.

I'm Chris.

Synsei,

Apart from the fact that one man's “simple and intuitive”is another man's “complex and confusing”, what about start by googling on “how to check mint linux version”?

First on the list of responses is: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...=23819&start=0

Installing software in Linux is mostly as simple as “Click link ~ download ~ install ~ run”.

You did not link the the “XMBC on Mint” guide that you used, so I can't say where it might have gone wrong. Actually, I know nothing about XMBC, so I think I would have looked on and asked questions at the Linux Mint forum.

But it seems you could have saved yourself all the frustration and waste of time if you had asked about the simplest/best way to getting a Linux version of XMBC running directly here at AOS. Perhaps then your impression of Linux would then be entirely different.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

synsei Guest

Linux is not Windows and strangely, I am perfectly comfortable with this. I've experience with many OS's over the years and yet the only one that has ever had me stumped is Linux, but I keep coming back for more punishment.

Incidentally, here is the link to the tutorial I mentioned: http://www.ainer.org/xbmc-install-se...u-linux-mint/2

Mint is failing to register the 'suppositories' I think. Basically, when I get to the step where Mint is supposed to ask me if I want to Reload the information, it doesn't. Subsequently, typing XBMC into the search window of Software Manager fails to yield a result.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast